Home Forums General Discussion Forum HELP?? Gruen Ladies Precision 17 Jewel Cal N225ss Watch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    randy
    Participant

Shipping costs can be a real pain, unless you are buying a number of items.
      You just have to weigh it out against the outcome somedays…is the watch worth it, is the client willing to pay whatever it takes to repair it, etc, etc.
      Well, now you have two movements, so you have at least some good spare parts !

Be very careful in removing the barrel cap….I would suggest getting a small enough blade that will fit into the slot, and gently work it. If it doesn’t want to come easily, I would soak it in some type of releasing agent overnight, vs. trying to force it. It takes nothing to warp them !!!

Thanks for the pics/updates..glad to see that you are making progress

Best,

Randy

gerene
      Participant

@Randy wrote:

Be very careful in removing the barrel cap….I would suggest getting a small enough blade that will fit into the slot, and gently work it. If it doesn’t want to come easily, I would soak it in some type of releasing agent overnight, vs. trying to force it. It takes nothing to warp them !!!

Hello Randy, would you care to explain the releasing agent and do you have some recommendations?

Jan

david pierce
        Participant

Jan,
          There is a product in the USA called LIQUID WRENCH. It is really just diesel fuel in a can and works very well on frozen threads and pins.
          Peggy,
          The method Bob shows to remove barrel caps in his watch repair video is a good one to use and I have found that it is less likely to warp the cap when prying it off. When I reassemble the cap I now use an inexpensive (Harbor Freight) crystal press to push the cap back in. This also helps to eliminate the cap warpage.
          david

gerene
          Participant

Thanks David, I did not hear of that product around here but I am certain we will have something equivalent ;)

Jan

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.