Home Forums General Discussion Forum First Paying Job – A Hamilton 992B!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

I agree with David. You don’t need to glue plastic crystals. I use a UV cement on glass crystals. Great job on the overhaul. I can see the first of many to come.

maitai11
      Participant

Guys,

I’m not sure what happened, but this plastic crystal SWIMS inside the bezel. Randy was mentioning about how they can shrink inside the ultrasound machine. I have to consider that as one option. That would be bad, though. I will TRY to press in this particular one. But it seems like there’s a lot of play in there now.

Any other thoughts? GS Crystal adhesive?

Best,

Tim

randy
        Participant

G-S cement,..or a new crystal Tim.

R

chris mabbott
          Participant

Tim,

There is no round about way to say this, but if you intend to do this as a business, then reputation means a lot, as in quality of workmanship. IF the USCM caused some shrinkage due to the temp, then that was your oversight. In that case, a replacement Crystal would be the appropriate way to go, at your expense of course, look at it as a lesson.

Whereas you can glue it back in, but if, as you say, the clearance is excessive, then it will eventually fall out. That’s not to mention the other nasties associated with gluing in an undersized plastic crystal…. You will get unsightly dirt built up between the bezel edge and crystal, and cement does cloud plastic, it’s a reaction as the glues chemicals eat into the material.

The crystal is the first thing you see on a watch, so it should be perfectly perfect, or is that just me 8-)

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.