Home Forums General Discussion Forum End Mills

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Ok all you mill users out there I have a question. Which end mill would be better or does it make any difference? One set is a 4 flute HSS single ended 1/8″ to 1/2″ or 6 HSS 1/8 – 1/2 TIN COATED 4 FLUTE SINGLE END MILLS SET. The plain HSS set is I think $38 and the other coated set is $33. Just curious if there is a dimes worth of difference. Thanks.

Bob Tascione

Hi Bernie,
        I think I would be suspicious of the TiN coated end mill if the price is actually lower than the straight HSS end mills. TiN end mills are great. The coating helps prevent metal chips from melting onto the steel. They can and should be run a little harder and faster than HSS. But…I think they are usually more expensive than non-TiN coated. If you’re looking at the same name brand and sizes and the TiN end mills cost less then I’m not sure what the deal is. Unless of course they are having a sale.
        As a quick side not though…HSS end mills are also excellent and will perform perfectly for normal horological work.
        Also, just a point of interest. The ‘TiN’ stands for titanium oxide. People often mistake that for tin.
        Enjoy,
        Bob

bernie weishapl
        Participant

That is kinda what I was thinking Bob. Everything I had seen especially name brand stuff were quite a bit higher in price. Of course both of these sets are on ebay and was looking for something a little cheaper so if I happen to ruin one trying to learn that it wouldn’t break the bank. 😆 I think both of these sets are made either in China or Korea. Like I said for learning to use the Taig lathe as a mill.

Bob Tascione

Hi Bernie,
            I have found that there are some decent import end mills and some not so good. Paying a little more usually pays off in the long run.
            Bob

bernie weishapl
            Participant

I have always lived by my grandfathers old saying. Ya get what ya pay for. 😆

david pierce
              Participant

Bernie,
                If you are going to mill in your Taig lathe I would not buy a set of endmills. A Bridgeport size machine can handle a 1/2 inch end mill with ease but a smaller less powerful machine will cut better with smaller endmill cutters. For a machine that small I would go with a 1/8 inch endmill. A larger cutter is going to transfer more foot pounds of torque through the machine. Small machine-small cutters.
                david

Bob Tascione

Good catch David!
                  The part of your post about using a Taig didn’t register Bernie! I was under the impression that you purchased one of the HF mills that David and Tom have.

Bob

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

Thanks David and Bob. That is another thing that concerned me about buying a set. I was thinking of getting a 1/8″ and 3/16″. I didn’t think putting a 1/2″ end mill in my lathe would be a good idea after thinking about it. So do you think the 3/16″ would be to big also?

Also wanted to ask should a guy get 2, 4, or 5 flute end mills?

david pierce
                    Participant

Bernie,
                      It should be OK but you will quickly know if the cutter is too large when you start milling. The machine will begin to bounce; I hate it when that happens.
                      david

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Ok David I see what you mean. Would a guy want a 2, 4, or 5 flute mill?

david pierce
                        Participant

Bernie,
                          For a given feed rate, RPM and cutter diameter, a 2 flute takes more metal per bite than a 4 flute. The 2 flute is more efficient for softer metals and other materials such as aluminum and plastic. The 4 flute is better suited for harder metals such as steel where cutter breakage could be a problem. This does not mean that they will not work if not used this way as 2 flute cutters are used a lot to cut steel.

bernie weishapl
                          Participant

Thank you David. I appreciate the help. I think maybe I will get both. I do cut aluminum and brass along with steel. Well have a lot to digest since I have a couple more days to sit. 😆

chris mabbott
                            Participant

Bernie it seems that the same questions are hitting our minds at the same time, so thanks for asking as I also find the answers very useful.

By the way, your recent setback may have caused a slight delay in production, but planning/purchasing are full speed ahead it seems 😆

bernie weishapl
                              Participant

Yes they are Chris. Figured I might as well get things setup and ready to go when I can get back to the shop. I have several projects that I have lined up.

mahlon
                                Participant

Bernie, did you purchase the milling attachment for your taig. Mahlon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.