Home Forums General Discussion Forum Compound Slide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

Bernie,
      With more than 30 years on the bench there are many things you have worked out over the years, and you know many more things about watch repair and making watch parts that cannot be learned any other way. Is there any chance that you could put a video together showing how you make watch parts using the tools and techniques that have worked for you over the years. If you put it on a CD I would be one of the first people in line to buy a copy. david

david pierce
      Participant

Bernie,
        If you have not already done so make sure that the collets are the correct collets for the particular machine you are getting. The Taig with the standard headstock uses collets that work with that headstock. The ER-16 collets will work only with the ER-16 compatable headstock. If you start with the standard headstock you can always order the ER-16 headstock and the ER-16 collets at a later date. As you have probably seen on the Youtube videos people have been able to cut clock gears on these machines. There is also a vertical vice available at a low cost that allows you to do milling on the lathe. If you get this accessory you will really appreciate the large motor and belt system this machine has.
        Bob also has a Sincere and I am sure if you ask him he will give you a professional watchmaker view of the machine.
        david

bernie weishapl
        Participant

I ordered my taig today David from DeArmond Tools. Dan changed out the normal collets in #3 lathe setup for the ER collets. He said he would put in a 1045-ER which is a adapter to use he ER collets on the old style headstock. I also ordered the steady rest so should be good to go for now. $582 with free shipping. I will add accessories as I need them.

As for the video David I am flattered. I don’t have anyway of doing a video and besides I wish I had the time. I am running two businesses here with my clock work and my woodturning business. I am behind on both at the moment because my eyes just won’t let me work like I want. This week I overhauled 3 clocks and then went to the wood shop to turn 3 peppermills and try to finish a order of turned canister set. One for flour, sugar, and coffee out of hickory. I generally get up at 5:30 am, go to the shop at 7:30, eat lunch, then back out, supper at 5, and then back to the shop depending till maybe 7:30. Today I ran calls into Colorado and left at 7 am with the longest drive at 96 miles one way. Got home about 6:20 this evening.

All this whining about having something to do. 😆 I am suppose to be retired but working harder now than when I had a full time job. :D Maybe when i slow down I will a video or two how to turn some different parts.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.