Home Forums General Discussion Forum Compound Slide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Here is a lathe cross slide that I saw and was wondering if it would work on a boley lathe? Had never seen one like this. Any info would be appreciated.

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Forgot to add he wants $450 for it plus shipping.

willofiam

Hey Bernie, do not know if it will work on your lathe, looks like a nice setup though, Could you chuck up round shaft cutting tools also, I do like the idea of how the center height can be adjusted. Looking at what watchmakers lathe cross slides are fetching this fits right in that range. Do you think you could fashion a way to mount it? hard to tell what is going on underneath, would she be willing to let you test and see if it will work for you? I have had good luck if I can talk directly to a seller. William

Bob Tascione

Hey Bernie those are really nice cross slides. May not be what you need right off the bat though. They are very handy for using cylindrical cutters. Cylindrical cutters can be ground very quickly out of round HSS or high carbon steel rod. Many other uses for it also. There’s some info in one of the books I have here about that type of slide. I’ll run down stairs in a few minutes to see if I can dig it up and will post it up here for you. I think it may be in Goodrich’s “The Watchmakers Lathe”.
            I’ll be baaack,
            Bob

chris mabbott
            Participant

Doesn’t look like a Boley setup Bernie, unless something is missing from it? Unusual looking tool though..

Bob Tascione

That’s correct Chris.
                I think mine was an older Rivett or something like that. Still looking for the book Bernie. Could be boxed up but I’ll find it.
                Bob

chris mabbott
                Participant

@Bernie Weishapl wrote:

Forgot to add he wants $450 for it plus shipping.

Ouch 😮

I don’t want to sound like Mr Pierce’ pet parrot by repeating what David says 😆 but, you could get a nice Sincere lathe setup for just about that much Bernie.
                  I’ve even been considering flogging the antique and moving forward onto something that I can at least find accessories for, at a reasonable cost.

These prices are getting/already are… INSANE 😯

I’m becoming a little jaded with ebay lately, I love it, I love it not, I love it…….

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

That is ok Bob. He told me it was a Rivett and that he thought it would work on a Boley. It just looked like a nice piece and like William said height could be adjustable. He said you can use square or round bits in it. He wants $450 for and not sure if I need it if I get the Taig lathe. Will probably order it next week. Been looking at ER collets and found some that go down to 1/32″ cheaper than Taigs collets and also has 4 more than taig does in their group. Anyway he said he paid $700 for it 2 yrs ago and wouldn’t take less than $450. I will look in my Perkins lathe book tomorrow. I am not sure but I may have Goodrich’s lathe book.

bernie weishapl
                    Participant

Chris you are right. Ebay used to be a nice place to shop until people decided they were going to get rich there. My brother told me down where he is at in New Mexico he just missed getting me a Levin lathe by a minute about a year ago. The guy ahead of him bought it for $100 at a garage sale. My brother tried to buy it from him figuring he would take double for it right then and there but he said he could part it out and make 7 or 8 times what he paid for it in parts selling it on ebay. Go figure.

david pierce
                      Participant

Bernie,
                        The basic lathe operations are turning, boring, drilling, reaming, and facing. Does this $450.00 tool do anything that is not included in these basic operations? I have an A2Z quick change tool holder mounted on a Levin 3 way compound crossslide on my Boley which allows these operations to be done with the cross slide. Drilling and reaming operations can also be done from the tailstock. The tools are mounted in holders that allow the tools to be changed at the flip of a lever. I don’t have the quick change systems on every lathe I have but I do have them on every lathe I use. This includes the Boley, the Sincere, and the Taig. I also have a quick change tool post for my 9″ swing engine lathe but it is a larger industrial unit and not an A2Z. The A2Z quick change tool system is fairly inexpensive and a lot more versitle than the specialized tool in the picture. I will try to get some pictures of this stuff out there but I have had a lot of problems trying to post anything. My computer is old (like me) and obsolete (like me). I talked to Tom (Tmac) on the phone today and he told me that if I mail the photos on a camera chip to him he will post them for me. I will take pictures of this stuff this weekend and then mail it to him. He also has an A2Z quick change tool system on his Levin and there may be a picture of it on one of his posts. If you are planning to use your Boley for graver work on watch pivots you may not need to invest in a cross slide anyway. The Taig comes with that already and provides a lot more power to the turning operation. Since the cross slide is a mechanical fixture mounted to the lathe it will hold the cutter with a lot more stability than you can get with a handheld graver. This will allow you to take advantage of the extra turning power from the larger lathe.
                        david

bernie weishapl
                        Participant

Thanks for the info from all. David after a lot of thought it kinda boiled down to economics. At this point at my age do I need it? No. I figured I was getting the Taig anyway with a 10 pc set of ER collets that I found online starting from 1/32″. I figured for clock work the Taig would give me everything I need. On the occasional watch I work on if I need a part made my boley would suffice doing it with gravers. I thought about maybe getting it but when he shot the price of $450 plus shipping and after thinking about it if I go that way I might as well pony up another $100 or so and get a Sincere.

Bob I found my book by Goodrich and it is indeed a Rivett. It takes round cutting bits and is used in both the vertical and horizontal positions holding different tools if I read it right. My book was buried on the back shelf. Dug it and Archie Perkins book on lathes out to do some study and reading.

David I would like to hear more and where can I find these A2Z quick change tool system?

Thanks again guys. I learn something new everyday.

chris mabbott
                          Participant

Bernie, your comment about “at this time of life” made me laugh, I was involved in a discussion last weekend about what’s important after 50, the general consensus was….. Food, a good meal and the ones following 😆

bernie weishapl
                            Participant

LOL Chris that is funny. I am getting up on 70 so things and thinking does change. :D

david pierce
                              Participant

Bernie,
                                I pulled out the Goodrich book and it looks like the tool on pages 116, 117, 118. The eccentric collet hole will allow you to adjust your tool in the “z” axis (up and down) to get the tool on center. The modern quick change system does a much better job making this adjustment, is more versitile and a lot less expensive. The Z axis on the quick change system is adjusted with an adjusting nut on the holder. Once adjusted, as long as the adjusting nut isn’t turned, the holder and tool can be put back on the post in the same position as many times as you want. The cutter height will always be repositioned to the correct spot. A2Z has their own webpage and they may still sell on Ebay. There are a lot of companies that make quick change holders but A2Z is the only company I know about that makes them for Instrument size and watchmaker size lathes.
                                The tool in the picture is a beautiful collectors item but like many antique things better methods and equipment have been developed over the years. A Victorian design antique lathe is truly a thing of beauty but an ugly looking Taig will out produce it and stand up to and incredible amount of abuse. It is a workhorse.
                                david

bernie weishapl
                                Participant

Thanks David. I checked out the A2Z quick change system and that looks slick. I like the fact that you can make a adjustment up and down on the tool bit. Yea I will probably have a few of them when I get the Taig. Found a place that will exchange the standard collets for the ER collets with free shipping. So probably tomorrow will get it ordered. Thanks again for all the help and info.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.