Home Forums Member Shop Pics. “Catskillpainter”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    catskillpainter
    Participant

Hello everyone ! I’ll use this topic to introduce myself. I’m Jamison Smith. I live in Catskill, New York. I work on clocks when I’m not at my day job, or engaging in some sort of Ebay terrorism. I buy,restore,and sell clocks.I have a preference for cuckoos and American mantle clocks. Eventually, I’d like to start a retail clock repair business here in Catskill. For many years, I’ve been an amateur artist working in both traditional and digital mediums. My painting experience has proven very helpful in restoring and re-inventing clock cases and dials. I’ve been tinkering with clocks and watches for a few years now, but I’ve recently decided to get more serious about the clock work. Several years ago, I had the Tascione watch course on DVD. I made a lot of progress in learning to repair watches, but I eventually decided that clocks were a better fit for me. The clock course and the lathe course have both been extremely helpful, along with a thick stack of books that I’ve been working my way through. This seems like the perfect place to get to know some people who share my passion for old clocks, old tools, and countless hours happily spent in the shop !

catskillpainter
      Participant

This used to be the master bedroom. I chose it for my shop as it has really nice built in cabinets. Please don’t assume based on this photo that I’m capable of either repairing or paying for Atmos clocks,as neither is actually the case ( I bought it cheap and still regret it ). That old Ingraham mantle clock is more my pace.

catskillpainter
        Participant

In a world of high tech precision machinery, I have chosen to work with the equivalent of a 1958 Edsel. Don’t get me wrong; I love my Unimat ! The .0005in dial is only there to prove that I have a sense of humor.

catskillpainter
          Participant

If you ever see a homeless man clutching a tattered wooden box, you can bet that there’s a black Unimat tag on the front of it. He’ll be holding it tightly, and gently caressing its weathered finish. It’s all he has left, since all of his other possessions, and even his sanity, have slipped away in his pursuit of an endless list of ridiculous Unimat attachments.

catskillpainter
            Participant

I got a big pile of plastic ice cube trays from the dollar store. They’re great both on the workbench, and in drawers. If you want to pack them away with small parts in them, just wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and nothing can fall out. I use a lot of Dremel tool attachments in the lathe.

catskillpainter
              Participant

I use this contraption for bushings, among other things. I use KWM bushings and tools. The reamers fit the adapter somewhat loosely and self-center, so drill press run out is not an issue if you’re careful. The holder for the clock plates is commercially available. I’ve attached a steering wheel spinner to the forward pulley using a section of v belting and a modified clamp, so I can do delicate work slowly, by hand, for more control. The spinner can easily be removed to run the drill press with the motor.

willofiam

Howdy and welcome, looks like a very nice work space ;) , I like the bench area in particular. Using both sides, I am toying with the very same concept in my shop for the lathes I use (the island area). I understand the endless list or possibly lust for tools and attachments. you see, under that blinding mask of tool insanity still lies the glimmer of reason. for the want of the attachment missing from the box is the sane reasoning in how to acquire it. until the late night hour in the shadows of the gloomy shop, hungry yet happy we wring our hands in anticipation of the day the new possession actually comes in handy and makes life easier, the flooding thoughts of reason say how insane the quest has been. I am sorry but from my experience…….there is no hope 🙄 ….. just acceptance. hope your day is filled with joy :D , William

catskillpainter
                  Participant

The big basket doesn’t fit in the ultrasonic cleaner. I use it to hold things while drying them with a hair dryer ( A dryer box wouldn’t help me, because I’d be far too obsessive compulsive to walk away from one while the dryer was running).

catskillpainter
                    Participant

I knew just from looking around his website that Bryan Mumford was a pretty smart guy. When I received my MicroSet Timer, and I found a bag of M & Ms in the box, I was instantly convinced that he’s a genius. The real question is, why does that switch say “NO” ?

catskillpainter
                      Participant

These clock sized depthing tools are getting really hard to find. Why do I need it ? Because Donald De Carle said so – that’s why ! He also says I need North facing windows and a brown linoleum floor. I hope the depthing tool makes up for it. ( Dead horologists don’t actually talk to me. If they do start talking to me, I’ll take up stamp collecting instead. )

catskillpainter
                        Participant

Resistance soldering can be really handy for cuckoo clocks with all their different animations. This old 500 watt unit was made in 1968. This picture is proof positive of my vintage appliance fetish.

catskillpainter
                          Participant

I built this stand for cuckoo clocks. It allows me to tinker with the movements and animations while they’re installed in the case and running. The top metal bars are adjustable, and it has leveling feet on each corner. Notice the hanger for running movements out of the case, and the backboard to keep large clocks with odd shaped woodwork from falling forward.

catskillpainter
                            Participant

I use a bulk tape eraser for demagnetizing tools and things. The tractor weight and the old impact sockets make great anvils. The workbench itself rests on an old Futon frame. The glass shelves are from a bay window that I took apart ( The soft jaws on the larger bench vise are made from one of the windows vinyl channels ).

catskillpainter
                              Participant

@willofiam wrote:

Howdy and welcome, looks like a very nice work space ;) , I like the bench area in particular. Using both sides, I am toying with the very same concept in my shop for the lathes I use (the island area). I understand the endless list or possibly lust for tools and attachments. you see, under that blinding mask of tool insanity still lies the glimmer of reason. for the want of the attachment missing from the box is the sane reasoning in how to acquire it. until the late night hour in the shadows of the gloomy shop, hungry yet happy we wring our hands in anticipation of the day the new possession actually comes in handy and makes life easier, the flooding thoughts of reason say how insane the quest has been. I am sorry but from my experience…….there is no hope 🙄 ….. just acceptance. hope your day is filled with joy :D , William

Thanks for the welcome. I’m glad to be here ! I think you’re right to say that there’s no hope for a shameless addict. I have more Unimat stuff on the way as we speak. I have no idea why. I really want the WW spindle with all the collets, but I might have to sell my car, or possibly my soul, to get it. I’m just as bad with the clocks as I am with the tools. As for the two sided work bench; it works really well for me, as I often have overlapping projects spread all over the place. I still try to adhere to a two clock at a time rule, because three would likely bring me to the brink of chaos.

catskillpainter
                                Participant

I stopped counting the clocks a long time ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.