Home Forums General Discussion Forum Brand New

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    pclfal62
    Participant

Hello everyone. I am brand new. Just signed up for Bob course and watched a bit of it. My wife and I have around 8 antique clocks around and we really enjoy them. Always loved clocks and I am looking to start a new hobby and maybe make a few bucks some day doing it. After I retire. In the meantime, I am looking for my first old clock to work on, something cheap of course. I don’t even have any tools yet and I was wondering what you may suggest to get first. I understand that there are many tools that probably can be found in most homes, but just looking for some advice on getting started. So far I have enjoyed reading some of the posts in here and picked up some good information.
      Thank you all, I am looking forward to this new en-devour.

chris mabbott
      Participant

Welcome to the forum and course, I’ll be looking forward to seeing some of your collection of clocks. If you need any help, just ask and many hands will happily come to your aid :)

Hmm, tools, that is an addiction in itself 😆 I’m a watch guy but the only thing that differs is the size, so I would say a good set of screwdrivers/pliers/hammer/punch set is a basic must have.. I’m sure the clock boyz will chime in with their recommendations..

Chris

mahlon
        Participant

pdfal, welcome to the forum. You will find that there are a bunch of very knowledgeable people here, that are more than willing to help. I have only been working on clocks for a little over a year, and have already cleaned and overhauled several for profit. I started out (after watching Bob’s course many, many times) buying cheap movements on e-bay that matched the movement in my personal clocks. Once I had a movement, I would take one of my movements apart and try to clean and reassemble it. If I had trouble getting the parts in the right place, I could use the purchased movement to find they’re correct location. Now I have movements to supply spare parts :D. Once you learn the function of the strike mech. it takes most of the frustration out of reassembly. I think the very first tool to buy are the let down keys. Do not try to let the winding springs down with the key. If you decide to try it anyway, have plenty of bandages at the ready. I speak from experience 😯 You can use wire( which I prefer) to retain the springs, but you will need a spring winder. I started out winding them in a gloved hand. It is not a safe practice( again have the bandages handy). I think the first few movements my wife put ems on speed dial just incase 8-) Just remember, there are no stupid questions. If you ask someone here will have the answer or tell you where to look. Mahlon

arutha
          Participant

Hi pclfal62,
            I will give you the same advice I give everyone when they first start :)
            Watch Bobs clock repair videos with a pen and paper and as you go through it make a list of the tools he uses. He shows exactly what is needed to service a clock, once you see a tool that you think you will need then write it down. Some tools you can manage without but if you are in any doubt you can always ask on the forum. For your first clock keep it simple, a pendulum time only is quite simple. Don’t start on any of your loved clocks as it is easy to make mistakes in the beginning and it is possible to cause a bit of expensive to repair damage.
            Good luck and if you have any more question please ask :)
            Paul.

bernie weishapl
            Participant

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your collection.

Bob Tascione

Good to see you up here pclfal62!

Bob

tmac1956
                Participant

pclfal62:

Welcome!!! You will find this a VERY informative endeavor. :D

Later,
                  Tom

willofiam

howdy pclfal62, welcome, cant say much more than what everyone else has already said except, have fun and dont be shy :D William

pclfal62
                    Participant

I want to thank everyone for your kind welcoming thoughts and advice. I am sure this is just the beginning. I plan to start with some recommended tools and see what I have around the house. My wife and are have started looking for a cheap clock or two to start working on.

Once again thank you, see you around real soon.

demewill
                      Participant

Here is a link to Abbey clock clinic that contains some good advice. Some of tithe references are out of date, but stroll quite useful.
                        At the bottom of the page are links to other pages of this website for other related topics.

http://www.abbeyclock.com/tools.html

Dan

pclfal62
                        Participant

Thank you demewill, I accidentally came across this web site. there is lots of useful stuff there, prices are outdated, but still good. We purchased a really cheap mantel clock last week. I was looking for a pendulum clock to get started but I couldn’t beat the price on this $18.00. It works but needs some work too. First off it needs a hand nut. I got to get some. It is a Haid clock. If I’m reading the info right it was made in 76 and is a 340-020 movement. From what I read, they are pretty common. Runs slows and stops after a couple of days. I’m still looking for a pendulum clock, but at least I can observe this one until I get another and some basic important tools.

mahlon
                          Participant

pclfal, your 340-020 is made by hermle. I use Butterworth clocks for parts, and have had pretty good success working on them. Just be carful when reassembling it. The pivots bend and break if you drop the plate trying to put it back together, believe me I know :? 😯 Mahlon

pclfal62
                            Participant

mahlon, I had read they were made by hermle, I will look up Butterworth. Thank you

mahlon
                              Participant

pclfal, The easiest way that I was able to do the Hermle movements was to take a lot of pics. Front, back, top and sides. Most of them I have taken the floating balance off first and soaked it in one dip for 10-15 min. If you set the movement up to where it has finished striking the 3/4 hour, then mark the wheels on the back and the barrel on the bottom before you take it apart, it will take a lot of the frustration out of setting it up when putting it back together. You may already know all this, I never thought to ask :? Mahlon

ewinrow
                                Participant

Welcome aboard.
                                  I think you’ll find this course and form very informative and as William said, Don’t be shy….. 8-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.