Home Forums General Discussion Forum Boxwood slips…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

I’ve been scouring the Internet looking for boxwood slips… to no avail. Does anyone know where I can buy these?

Thanks!
      tmac

david pierce
      Participant

TMAC,
        Always check with Uncle Larry’s Watch Shop. He gets stuff like that in all of the time.
        david

tmac1956
        Participant

@david pierce wrote:

TMAC,
          Always check with Uncle Larry’s Watch Shop. He gets stuff like that in all of the time.
          david

Will do.

Thanks!
          tmac

tmac1956
          Participant

It looks like I can create my own by buying one of the old boxwood folding carpentry rulers off eBay.

Later,
            tmac

david pierce
            Participant

Tmac,
              There must be any number of other woods that can be used for this application. Boxwood is traditionally used but why won’t other types of wood work?
              david

Bob Tascione

Hi guys,
                Thought I’d jump in here real quick before heading out for the day.
                That’s a really good question David. Boxwood works well as an absorbent for drying parts and as a polishing stick because of it’s lack or at least very low amount of resin. I also would like to know where boxwood slips can be found Tmac. If anyone finds a source please let us know.

Have fun today!
                Bob

edit: here’s a link to a previous discussion we had here about boxwood that may or may not be helpful.
                http://www.clockrepairtips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62

willofiam

hey tmac1956, I looked high and low for boxwood sawdust (is this what you are looking for?), found it at a local jeweler, when I asked them if they had any they looked at me funny wondering what I would need such a thing for, ended up giving me a handful for free which should last awhile. not sure what they would use it for. William

david pierce
                  Participant

Tmac,
                    Check with GROBET USA, they carry boxwood polishing sticks and the polishing compounds that are used with them. You might also want to check with FALCON and other injection mold supply houses.
                    david

tmac1956
                    Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tmac,
                      Check with GROBET USA, they carry boxwood polishing sticks and the polishing compounds that are used with them. You might also want to check with FALCON and other injection mold supply houses.
                      david

david:

Once I changed my search to boxwood polishing sticks in lieu of boxwood slips, I came up with several sites. This one has a a good selection:

http://www.artcotools.com/artco-boxwood-sticks.html

Thanks!
                      tmac

tmac1956
                      Participant

@tmac1956 wrote:

@david pierce wrote:

Tmac,
                        david

david:

Once I changed my search to boxwood polishing sticks in lieu of boxwood slips, I came up with several sites. This one has a a good selection:

http://www.artcotools.com/artco-boxwood-sticks.html

Thanks!
                        tmac

Update… Artcotools calls these sticks “boxwood” but a closer look reveals that they are actually “…made of select white birch…”. Since boxwood isn’t white birch, this appears to be another dead end.

The link that David provided looks promising, but they appear to be a wholesaler. It will take a little more digging to find out who they sell to and if their buyers are selling the boxwood sticks.

You can buy the old boxwood carpenters folding rulers pretty cheap (not the super old antiques, but the ones from the 1970’s) like this one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-72-Lufkin-X46-Boxwood-Brass-Red-End-Extension-Wood-Folding-Rule-Ruler-/261183825276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccfc4e57c

You can break this up into 12 pieces which should last awhile.

just an idea…

Later,
                        tmac

mahlon
                        Participant

Box wood is a fine end grained wood. The next ime you see someone trimming they’er hedges, pick up the dead pieces, grined them up to a fine dust and you will have all the boxwood you will need. I have been using barbeque scewers for pivot holes. they seem to work very well. They are alittle harder then true boxwood,but alot easier to find.
                          Mahlon

tmac1956
                          Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tmac,
                            david

david:

I got a response from one of Grobet’s sellers. However, I can’t see where they carry the boxwood slips.

https://www.ishor.com/Handpiece.php

When I get more reponses, I’ll post them.
                            Later,
                            tmac

tmac1956
                            Participant

@tmac1956 wrote:

@david pierce wrote:

Tmac,
                              david

david:

I got a response from one of Grobet’s sellers. However, I can’t see where they carry the boxwood slips.

https://www.ishor.com/Handpiece.php

When I get more reponses, I’ll post them.
                              Later,
                              tmac

Update… Gorbet’s boxwood sticks are now a discontinued item…
                              Just FYI
                              tmac

tmac1956
                              Participant

All:

It looks like the boxwood sample could be cut into strips and shaped as required for a given slip shape.

http://eisenbrandhardwoods.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=boxwood&osCsid=5p0bt2ulkja3efdeu8b271j8i4&search.x=0&search.y=0

Just a thought…

Thanks,
                                tmac

tmac1956
                                Participant

All:

Since boxwood appears to be difficult to find, I’ve been looking at alternatives. Based upon the URL below, it looks like orange wood will work (often used in peg wood), and basswood might be acceptable as well.

Ideas?

http://www.moldmakingtechnology.com/articles/efficiency-the-future-of-polishing

Thanks!
                                  tmac

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.