Home Forums General Discussion Forum balance pivot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

As an addendum to David’s suggestion…. Ascertain first that the jewels are in fact the friction type and NOT the rub in kind. If they are rub in jewels and you attempt to adjust them with the seitz tool, they’ll break as rub ins are pre-set.

bobpat
      Participant

they are friction type .

if they were rub-in, that would be a whole new topic,, 🙄

chris mabbott
        Participant

You will have them eventually, OH YES, you will have them :?

arutha
          Participant

Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem?
            After looking at your pictures again it looks like the pivot is slighyly bent in the first picture, as you took the picture through a loupe I did wonder if it was distortion but looking at your 3rd picture it again looks out of true. I am talking about the pivot on the roller side of the balance.
            Paul.

tmac1956
            Participant

Paul:

It looks slightly bent to me as well. But what do I know… the vision in my right eye is like looking into a fun-house mirror. ;)

I know that trying to get them straight again is dang near impossible but that one is so slightly bent (assuming its not worse in axis parallel to the plane of the picture) that I wonder if a heavy pair of pivot straightening tweezers might get it pretty close… At the very worst, the pivot would just break in the process.

Thanks,
              Tom

bobpat
              Participant

I thought it looked bent too, not sure if its the angle I took the pics or not. I did get new jewels, but haven’t put them in yet. Maybe if I chuck it in my lathe, I can see if its bent.

david pierce
                Participant

Bob,
                  You might also try rolling it in the jaws of a poising tool and check for any oscillation.
                  david

bobpat
                  Participant

Working on getting a poising tool ,that would be my first choice but that’s one tool
                    I haven’t gotten, YET ;)

tmac1956
                    Participant

@bobpat wrote:

Working on getting a poising tool ,that would be my first choice but that’s one tool
                      I haven’t gotten, YET ;)

bobpat:

You’ll pay more for one that has a functioning level. However, if you find one with good smooth jaws without the level, you can buy a bulls eye level from Harbor Freight for less than a dollar and just place it on the jeweled jaws to level it up.

Here’s a link:
                      http://www.harborfreight.com/bullseye-surface-level-67767.html

Thanks!
                      Tom

bobpat
                      Participant

Thanks Tom, good tip, I will keep that in mind

bernie weishapl
                        Participant

Bobpat I just bought a poising tool off ebay for $40 with free shipping. It has the leveling bubble and ruby jaws. If you watch you can find them at a decent price. This one was a buy it now and I jumped on it quick.

bobpat
                          Participant

thanks Bernie, I have my eye on one, unless its the one you bought, Lol.. They are always on there.. Waiting for a good one at a good cost

david pierce
                            Participant

Uncle Larry usually has one or two or these tools for sale at a good price. That is always a good first place to look for a watch tool.
                              david

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.