Home Forums Member Shop Pics. A workshop is born

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    willofiam

VERY nice Brian…..still waiting for you to come over and build mine :D cant wait for the final set up.

Anonymous

Hello Brian,
        Perfect, Perfect, Perfect shop!
        I would write much more but I’m drooling on my keyboard and don’t want to short my computer out.
        You sure do excellent work! Thanks for the inspirational photos.

Best,
        Phil

brianw
        Participant

Hi Everyone.
          I’m back on track and here are some recent photos.

As you can see, I have added an outside light and some security cameras. I don’t like the cameras, but we have had things stolen in the past
          and I don’t feel too comfortable about leaving valuable equipment out in the garden when we are not around.

The desks and cupboards are finished and ready to go.

The new milling machine is in it’s new home. Neither the lathe nor the milling machine are wired in yet. They are both three phase
          and I need to get an inverter for them to work. I’m going to just get one inverter for the two as they will never be used at the
          same time.

I have finished plumbing in the sink. Hidden under the sink is a water heater which is nice. You can also see the wiring for the internet
          which is up and running. I’ve connected a second router to the one in the main house and have activated the wireless facility. I’ve also fitted
          some hard wired ethernet sockets above the desks so that I don’t have to rely on wireless for any fixed peripherals I may use in the future.
          I have also installed an extractor fan above the draining board which I finished wiring in today. That isn’t shown in these photographs.
          The next stage is to get another worktop installed for some of the smaller machines and to get that three phase inverter installed.
          I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel……….
          Regards, Brian

jim1228
          Participant

Outstanding!

Jim

willofiam

Very nice!!! inspiring…

brianw
              Participant

Time to upload some more pictures.
                I’ve included some of my woodwork shed where I have been constructing the desks and the bench for the clockshop.
                Some of the pictures show the main bench under construction. I’ve made it in two halves which are jointed together as it
                is too big to transport between the two shops.

brianw
                Participant

The bench is now in place and ready for the final construction.

The following pictures show the completed bench and also the inverter, extractor fan,
                  three phase wiring loom and some of my equipment.

You may have noticed that the clock on the wall looks rather modern. Well, it’s one of those clocks that are synchronised by a radio
                  time signal. I guess we all have to have some reference point.
                  Since these pictures were taken I have rebuilt my myford speed 10 which is on the bench in the middle, and have serviced and repainted
                  the milling machine and large lathe.
                  I have been spending some time familiarising myself with the machinery and am finally, after three years, at long last in my own workshop.
                  It has been a long slog, but I think it is going to be worth it.
                  There is still some space next to the sink where there are a couple of old tables and a pillar drill where I can install more benches or maybe machines.
                  I don’t want to plan what I am going to put there. I want to start using the workshop and let it evolve from now on. I’m not sure what direction my
                  endeavours are going to go so I want to leave some space for the unplanned.
                  I’ll let you all know what happens, so watch this space …….

jim1228
                  Participant

Awesome shop!
                    You are one talented guy Brian.

Jim

willofiam

Very nice Brian, no matter how much bench space you create it always seems to fill up…my biggest problem is finding a open spot on a bench when I need it. Have fun.

Anonymous

You have just built the shop of my dreams Brian!
                        The only thing I would do differently is put my bed in there too!
                        Amazing work space.
                        Thanks for posting. I’m motivated now!

Best, Phil

brianw
                        Participant

These photographs were taken about a month ago. There have been further alterations since then but nothing substantial.
                          I have been making good use of the workshop, especially since lockdown. I don’t know what I would have done without it.

I spent a lot of time working on building my first clock which is now ticking away and keeping time to within around 15 seconds a week.

I’m currently working on my second clock which is more complicated. It has a fusee with maintaining power and a date hand. Hopefully this will be finished in the next few months. I’ll put some pictures up when it is finished.

Bob Tascione

Hey it’s great to see you up here Brian!
                            Wow you’ve been busy. That shop sure turned out to be perfect and in such a beautiful setting too.
                            Nice clock you made there. Do you happen to have some pics of the movement? Curious what escapement it has. Quite a bit of arc there! :)
                            Again it’s really good to see you and also good to see you’re able to keep productive through these difficult times.

Thanks Brian!
                            Bob

brianw
                            Participant

Hi Bob,

Here is the movement. I didn’t appreciate how much work was involved in building a clock from scratch, but it was worth the effort. The case is made from a cherry tree that we had to cut down about three years ago.
                              Brian

Bob Tascione

Really nice work as always Brian!
                                Wow talk about making a case from scratch. Great that you were able to use that cherry tree for something that can be enjoyed and handed down for generations.
                                Thanks for posting the pic Brian.
                                Always good to hear from you over there.
                                Take care for now,
                                Bob

brianw
                                Participant

Hello again.
                                  After many long hours in lockdown I have finally finished my second clock.
                                  It is the John Wilding English Dial Clock with date function. It had many new challenges for me such as making the fusee, maintaining work and cutting pinions. The dial is hand painted and the only part I could not make was the spun brass dial surround. The case was made from the same cherry tree as my first clock which we cut down ourselves.
                                  P1050055
                                  The clock was made to celebrate the birth of my grandson and hopefully he will keep it as a family heirloom in the years to come.
                                  P1050059
                                  It seems to keep pretty good time but I haven’t fully regulated it yet as I want to give it some time to settle in. It is currently within 20 seconds a week, which isn’t too bad.
                                  P1050070
                                  I’m still trying to decide what kind of clock to make next. I’m torn between a precision regulator and a clock with a day, week, month indicator as well as time. It seems to me that a clock should tell more than just the time of the day if possible and that it should keep reasonably good time.
                                  I plan to upgrade the workshop before starting on the next clock. I want to install a DRO on the main lathe and milling machine and put up some more shelving.
                                  I’ll update when progress is made.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.