Home Forums Member Shop Pics. A workshop is born

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    rgmt79
    Participant

Good progress Brian and timely with the winter approaching, once the windows are in you can relax and start thinking about fitting it out inside…

brianw
      Participant

As you can see, the windows and door are fitted.
        All I need to do now is fit fascia, soffit boards and guttering, seal, insulate and screed floor, install roof insulation and ceiling plaster board, connect electricity and water and waste pipes then install wood burning stove and sink.
        Hopefully that will all be done by late spring and I can start thinking about machinery, workbenches, tools and everything else.

I’m pleased that I now have a building which is watertight and secure. I feel like a milestone has been passed.

rgmt79
        Participant

Well done Brian, seems to be coming along nicely :)

jim1228
          Participant

Very impressive Brian, I love the brick.

Jim

mrgutzmer
            Participant

WOW What a beautiful shop!!

brianw
              Participant

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments.
                I had to ease back on the work over the winter as it was just too cold and I was struggling with tennis elbow which was pretty unpleasant.
                However, spring has finally arrived and I’m back working on the workshop.
                I’ve fitted insulation in the roof.

I’ve fitted the chimney for the wood burning stove which will be needed next winter.

And I’m now in the process of installing wooden cladding over the insulation.

I’ve still got a way to go, but hopefully I should be at least partially operational by the time summer arrives.
                The best part is going to be when I start installing workbenches and equipment.
                Watch this space.

Bob Tascione

Wow Brian that’s looking more and more like a beautiful traditional clockmakers/watchmakers shop. I can only imagine what it’s going to feel like actually working in there when It’s all setup.
                  Looks like you’re getting very close now!

Bob

brianw
                  Participant

Hi Bob,
                    Yes it is progressing well and I am itching to start using it.
                    The internal roof cladding is now finished and the floor screeding is currently drying out so I can’t do anything more inside for two weeks while it sets hard.
                    I’m waiting for the delivery of the fascia and soffit board materials which should arrive on Wednesday. In the meantime I am going to start digging a hole outside the building
                    to locate the electricity and water main which run nearby so that I can get them connected.
                    As soon as the floor is ready I will be painting it with a hard wearing two-part resin, then the wood burning stove is going in.
                    There is still plenty to do and it is now two years since I took that first picture when the whole project was just a dream.
                    I’ll post some more photographs when the facia board is in place and the stove is installed.
                    Brian

brianw
                    Participant

I haven’t posted anything for a while, but I have been working on the shop.

The internal roof lining is in place and the floor insulation is installed.

The fascia and soffit boards are installed.

I can’t add any more photographs for some reason, so I will upload this submission and start a new one.

brianw
                      Participant

The electricity and water supply is connected.

The floor screeding is complete and the floor painted.

The walls are painted and the skirting boards fixed in place.

Well, that is as far as I have got.
                        The floor is painted with an industrial epoxy two part paint designed to be hard wearing.
                        I’ve sealed around the bottom of the skirting so that springs that fly off into the unknown cannot hide under the skirting.
                        I’m very pleased with how everything is working out. The next step is to install the wood burning stove, then guttering and drainage.
                        As you can see, the wiring and plumbing still has to go in. I’ll start with putting in a consumer unit then move on to lights and power outlets.
                        All the wiring is going to go into surface-mounted trunking so that I can change the installation to fit in with whatever equipment is
                        in place.
                        This build has been a long slog, but I’m sure it will be worth it. If I had realised what was involved before I started I might never have begun.
                        I’m looking forward to posting the photograph with the first clock in it.
                        Regards to all, Brian

brianw
                        Participant

The electricity is connected up and the lighting installed.
                          I’ve used LED lights which look like ordinary strip lights. They are really bright and don’t consume much power. I wanted to have as much light as possible and am very pleased with them.
                          The wood burning stove is in although I haven’t lit it yet as we are having a bit of a heat wave here at the moment.

As you can see I have started moving some of my junk into the new workshop. I had to move it out of the spare bedroom as we had some friends staying.
                          There is a load more spread around the house that I have yet to move.
                          As you can see I have a boxford lathe. I agonised about buying this instead of a myford 7 and finally chose this one as it is in very good condition and in my opinion is better than a myford super 7 with gearbox.
                          I am interested in making tools for clockmaking and want to use the boxford for that.
                          I think Myfords are rather over priced for what they are. This lathe has induction hardened ways and power cross feed and is in very good condition with hardly any backlash and it probably cost half of
                          what I would have had to pay for an equivalent Myford.
                          Having said that,I do have a small Myford speed 10 which I am hoping to set up as a dedicated wheel cutting lathe. These are really solid, good quality little lathes.

I am now working on constructing some fitted desks to go along the front windows.
                          I’ll download some more pictures when that is completed.

Bob Tascione

Wow Brian what an incredible shop!
                            You’ve done such a beautiful job on everything. It’s seems to be perfectly situated for capturing natural sunlight. There’s no better or more soothing lighting in my opinion for doing watch work than the spectrum that natural sunlight covers. Maybe our eyes have evolved to take advantage of all that natural light has to offer.
                            Are you also going to be moving some benches in there or will you be building everything into the shop?

Bob

brianw
                            Participant

As you may have guessed, I’m building my own units.
                              I looked into buying some office furniture, but that made it look like an office. I then looked for workshop/garage furniture and that was either
                              way too expensive or I just didn’t like it.
                              By designing and building my own units I get exactly what I want. There is a desk type area beneath the front windows where you can sit, and the
                              rest is drawers and cupboards for storage.

I have now fitted the drawers without fronts which will be fitted next. The doors, which you can see stacked up under the drill, will be next
                              followed by a solid beech worktop.

This is taking a lot longer than buying some furniture, and it means that I have got to wait longer before I can get back to my clocks, but I think
                              that taking the extra time now to get it right will pay off in the end.

rgmt79
                              Participant

Looking really great Brian, it will be a real pleasure to work in there when it’s all done…wow, what a journey to get this far:-)

Richard

brianw
                                Participant

Hi Richard.
                                  Thanks for your response.
                                  Unfortunately I have to stop work on the shop for the next couple of months. I still have to take time to make a living and we are going away for a month mid September.
                                  I do have a milling machine on order which should arrive soon and I will post a photograph when it arrives.
                                  I will get back to furnishing the workshop when we return in mid October and will hopefully get it operational by Christmas.
                                  It has been a long slog to have got this far, but I really think it is going to be worth the wait.
                                  Regards, Brian

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.