Home Forums General Discussion Forum A Contradiction

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

Stolen from Wikipeadia as they explain it better than I could –

Synchronous electric clock

A synchronous electric clock does not contain a timekeeping oscillator like a pendulum, but instead counts the oscillations of the AC utility current from its wall plug to keep time. It consists of a small AC synchronous motor, which turns the clock’s hands through a reduction gear train.[6] The motor contains electromagnets which create a rotating magnetic field which turns an iron rotor. The rotation rate of the motor shaft is synchronized to the utility frequency; 60 cycles per second (Hz) in North and South America, 50 cycles per second in most other countries. The gear train scales this rotation so the minute hand rotates once per hour. Thus the synchronous clock can be regarded as not so much a timekeeper as a mechanical counter, whose hands display a running count of the number of cycles of alternating current.[6]

One of the gears turning the clock’s hands has a shaft with a sliding friction fitting, so the clock’s hands can be turned manually by a knob on the back, to set the clock.

Synchronous motor clocks are rugged because they do not have a delicate pendulum or balance wheel. However, a temporary power outage will stop the clock, which will show the wrong time when power is restored. Some synchronous clocks have an indicator which shows if it has stopped and restarted.

Did I also tell you that my new clock was a cover girl?

chris mabbott
      Participant

Paul, it’s an electric clock, you coulda just said 😆 😆

1977, that was a good year, once I blow away the smoke to see a little clearly. Kewl clock.. :D

maitai11
        Participant

See Chris? I knew you were a stoner!!!

😆 😯 😮

chris mabbott
          Participant

Ah, alas, nothing so glamorous, simply the smoke, or mist of time 🙄

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.