Home Forums General Discussion Forum A Contradiction

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

Contrary to what I blabbed about earlier regarding not acquiring any more watches until my back log is hist, I received this beautiful Elgin, which is, of course, none functional, nothing that can’t be gently massaged out though, simply because this is what we love to do 😯

So I’ve been sitting staring at the enlarged photos, something I do as a result of good livin during long Canadian winter nights ;)
      Obviously there is a <span style=”color: #0000BF”>WATCH GAZING MIND SURF TUNE</span> to expand ones vision and look deeply into the movement, to find problems of course… I hope you enjoy..

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Dang Chris that is one beautiful watch. Nice find. Is that a 17J or 15 J? Oh and you are hopeless and lost cause when it comes to buying watches. We are just trying to keep Tim on the straight and narrow. 😆 😆

chris mabbott
        Participant

Bernie, I’m like a fish chasing a nice shiny spinner 😆 I’m getting better though, just have to remember to take my medication. This one is a 19j BWR it has the cap jewels on the pallet instead of the barrel.

Someone has to lead the lad down the garden path, at least once in a while :D

bernie weishapl
          Participant

That’s a nice watch Chris. Can I ask what that set you back? If not it is ok. Just curious for me.

chris mabbott
            Participant

Bernie, I traded a New York Standard worm drive for this one, the watch with the worm inside :D

bernie weishapl
              Participant

That is cool. Never seen one like that. I know at auctions and on ebay BWR’s are pretty pricey. One of these days I will own one. 😆

chris mabbott
                Participant

These worm drives are not so common, but I had that broken one for about 20 yrs, I don’t remember where I got it, but it had two escapement teeth missing. The guy I trade with also had a broken one, so two make one in this case 😆 NYS PW’s are hard to find part for and I’m not that horned on them, just their two very early models before they went cheapo $1 watch..

The worm drive never did take off, I think it was seen as a gimmick rather than taken seriously, but the idea had merit and it was the first and only that used a worm gear to drive the escapement, at least I think it was..

randy
                  Participant

Chris…that is just plain sweet !
                    I couldn’t have passed it up either !

RB

maitai11
                    Participant

So…Chris…been to any good addict meetings lately? 😆

The saw I was trained on while I was a carpenter’s helper years ago was a worm drive – Skilsaw – best saw I’ve ever used, because the worm allows for the blade to be on the LEFT side of the saw versus your garden variety Black and Decker on the right. Translation? You can see your cut line very, very easily without arching over to see a little bit of the other kind of saw cuts…

Are those rubies, Chris? And, ok, you traded that beautiful written drive for a even more beautiful Elgin…but now you’ve got me curious a la Bernie – what did the WORM DRIVE set you back, 20 years ago? :) that’s the real kicker, since I’ve never even seen one…ok if you don’t want to say :)

Nice little haul, EVEN IF you’re trying to teach me not to get all crazy – actually, you’ve opened up a whole new world to me – that of trading!

Best,

Tim :)

chris mabbott
                      Participant

@maitai11 wrote:

So…Chris…been to any good addict meetings lately? 😆

I don’t need meetings to become an addict, I already are one 😆

@maitai11 wrote:

Are those rubies, Chris? And, ok, you traded that beautiful written drive for a even more beautiful Elgin…but now you’ve got me curious a la Bernie – what did the WORM DRIVE set you back, 20 years ago? :)

The “rubies” are not really rubies, they are either man made stones with a red dye added OR back in the oldie days, they were made from Garnet which is basically a crystaline material but very hard & abrasive and not very precious, this is why you see them in their various colors of opaque, pink, and purple.
                        Ruby was just a marketing term to make the watch appear more valuable.. i.e. 21 RUBY JEWELS Oww Ahh. The old stories of someone accusing a watchmaker of “stealing their rubies” from their watch are many as the marketing term WORKED, just like today as we are convinced, via marketing and commercials that certain things are what we’re told they are, but they are not. That’s why I laugh at the flowery descriptions on epay, especially from antique dealers, they should know better 👿

Not sure about the NYS, I don’t even remember where I got it from? Thing was, it was broken, and I never ever found the parts for it, simply because you don’t see them. My buddy needed the good parts from my watch to get his working, so everyone was happy happy joy joy :D

maitai11
                        Participant

Thanks for that neat little piece of history there on the jewels…now that you mention it, I have read some similar info, etc. I think it’s great you’re embracing your little “problem” than it seems many of us have…picked up that set of screwdrivers today that Randy mentioned in another post :) ePay haha :)

Best,

Tim :)

arutha
                          Participant

What a great contradiction though!
                            Lovely looking beast and can’t wait to see the photo essay on its full resoration!
                            You know I said I wasn’t going to buy any more clocks or watches…….. 😳

Couldnt resist this one as it is an early synchronous clock :)
                            Paul.

maitai11
                            Participant

O.
                              M.
                              G.

What.

Is.

That.

!!! :)

arutha
                              Participant

I know! It looks like it has come out of a kids nursery :)
                                Paul.

chris mabbott
                                Participant

Paul, it almost looks like a Russian made clock. What exactly it a synchronous clock, it’s too early of a make to connect to Wifi to synchronize ;)
                                  I’ll hazard a guess and say that it synced to the GPO time service :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.