Home Forums General Discussion Forum 400 Day / Anniversary Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

@Bob Tascione wrote:

No way! I just put up a quick condensed version so I could hit the send button before you did Paul! :D
      Bob

See! you even explained that better than I could have, you use words like “condensed” and thats not even in my vocabulary! 😯

willofiam

Paul, do you have the 400 day clock repair guide?

Chris, there is even such a thing as a 1000 day clock. now you may ask, “is this a April fools day joke?”……..maybe…. William

mahlon
        Participant

William the 1000 day clock is for those who have several anniversaries 😆 😆 Mahlon

bernie weishapl
          Participant

Paul do you have Charles Terwilligers 400 day Clock Repair Guide? If you don’t post a close up pic’s of the back plate. In his book I can identify the plate number and what spring size goes with it. It could be the spring is to strong. I had one come in that had a .0045 spring in it. It would run about 15 minutes and stop. Found out it should have had a .0035 on it. Just thinking Paul. These two books are my bible for me when working on 400 day or 1000 day clocks.

Here is one of the books from my friend Joe. He is a expert on 400 day clocks. http://www.amazon.com/Repair-Restore-Your-400-Day-Clock/dp/1935097784

Here is Charles Terwilligers book. http://www.amazon.com/400-Day-Clock-Repair-Charles-Terwilliger/dp/9992387262/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A18TERXESHF7W2

chris mabbott
            Participant

Thanks guys, for being patient about my rather stoopid question LOL
              I feel that we’ve bonded a little due to it though, dare I say that i feel like an honorary clock member?
              Not sure about anniversaries, I probably need a divorce model to remind me Not to keep getting married LOL

Bob- I’ve been thinking of an answer to your above post which I’ll submit in a visual way when I’m home ;-)

Sent from an idevice

willofiam

NO stupid questions on here, just lots of fun and friendship. @Chris Mabbott wrote:

dare I say that i feel like an honorary clock member

and you are!!!! we will NOT give up on you ;) @Chris Mabbott wrote:

Not sure about anniversaries, I probably need a divorce model to remind me Not to keep getting married

Those run backwards.
                William

arutha
                Participant

Hi Bernie, i have the horolovar guide but I have lent it to a friend. I opened out the forks as they were a little tight after being moved up the suspension wire and the clock stopped again. I then checked the beat and it was way out, just from moving the forks up(and maybe opening them out a fraction?), so I put it back in beat and I left it running in the workshop but there is minimal over-swing so My next fiddle will be to raise the fork again, check the gap, put the clock back in beat and see what happens. It is getting closer. I think you mentioned something about putting a thinner spring back in but I don’t see how this could be an option as the clock was running way too slow and I dont know of any other method of making it run faster other than with a thicker spring?
                  Thanks for everyones help and suggestions,
                  Paul.

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

I understand Paul. I wasn’t suggesting to go down a lot thinner. Sometimes I will thin a spring down to get where I want but it sounds like you are getting so close. I would be interested what happens when you go up slightly again. Keep us up to date.

arutha
                    Participant

Hi Bernie,
                      because of the amount of time it was losing I did make quite a big jump in spring thickness, it had a .0040 and I went to a .0050 just to see how much difference it would make with regard to time keeping. It was losing around 5 mins per hour with the pendulum at full adjustment.
                      Paul.

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Gotcha. That is quite a jump. Will be interested to see where you come out when moving the fork again. Wondering if a .0045 would work and get you where you need to be?

arutha
                        Participant

i thought exactly the same thing! I wanted to try a big jump because 5 mins an hour loss is quite a lot, the previous repairer couldnt get it running so I am guessing the spring was damaged and he just replaced it with any old spring. If it does run too fast then I have no option but to go to the .0045 unless I am close in which case I will try thinning the .0050. So far I have not had it running for long enough to check its time keeping with the “50”
                          Paul.

chris mabbott
                          Participant

@Bob Tascione wrote:

Hey Chris,
                            We’re gonna get you hooked on clocks yet! :D
                            Bob

I know you’re trying Bob and I am flattered :D But I just can’t get past the physical thing 😆

arutha
                            Participant

Bit of an unfair comparison there Chris, I like this one better!

Bob Tascione

Well that’s not fair at all Chris! :D
                                Paul, Daryn and any other UK readers. Would you happen to have something like a nested bell engraved fusee in your shop that you can take a pic of to help Chris with his dilemma? :D

Bob

Bob Tascione

Ha!!!
                                  You were obviously thinking the same thing I was and posted when I did Paul!! :D
                                  I think Chris is also making the point of entry level costs but still…
                                  Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.