Home Forums General Discussion Forum 400 Day / Anniversary Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

I have been working on a 400 day clock, it was serviced by me and I got it running ok but it was loosing about 20 mins in 4 hours. I but a thicker suspension wire on it to make it run faster but now it just keeps stopping. I have checked the beat with markers and all is well there so does anyone have any idea why it should stop with a thicker spring?
      Paul.

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Paul I had that happen one time to me and if IIRC I moved the fork up slightly higher on the spring. It seemed to me that putting it higher gave it more swing when the verge arm moves from one side to the other.

arutha
        Participant

Thanks Bernie,
          I have already moved the fork up by around 2mm but it does have room to move up again so I will try It. If I start getting “flutter” then I will know I have moved it too high. I also found the top block of the suspension wire was very loose in its fitting, so I have tightened this up.
          I know the movement is good as the train started moving with just a 3rd of a turn on the key so it is just down to set-up. I can quite understand why people don’t like working on these things :)
          Paul.

bernie weishapl
          Participant

I don’t mind working on them at all. I generally change the mainspring on all I work on and replace the suspension spring as 99% of them are broke when they come in. Generally I leave the pallets out and I like it to start turning with 1 to 1 1/2 turns or less. I let it run till it stops to see how it reacts. Sometimes you can tell it there is a problem if it stops abruptly. A friend of mine Joe is a expert at working on these clocks will leave the pallets out and he wants his clock to start running with 2 turns or less without the clock being oiled. He will also run the clock for several days with no oil on it. He says a 400 day should run with no oil for many days. I have tried it on a couple and they do run. He says if it doesn’t run without oil you still have a problem.

arutha
            Participant

I am quite sure the movement is ok but if I cant get this running I will clean it again and see what it takes to get it running without oil. Thanks again for the advice :)
              Paul.

willofiam

Hey Paul. one other thing to check with the fork is that it is not too tight or too loose, check it throughout the full pendulum swing to make sure it is not binding, the book is saying ONLY enough clearance to ensure the tines never grip the pin in any position. too loose will lose power, are you going back to the original sus. spring? William

bernie weishapl
                Participant

William is right. I generally when it is standing still see if I can slip a dollar bill between the fork and post with no resistance. If I can’t it is to tight. Sometimes I use a sticky note :D which works to.

chris mabbott
                  Participant

Nice story Paul, but where’s the photos Dewd 😆

This is going to sound like a daft bat question to you clock guys but…….. What’s a 400 day clock, do you only have to wind it every 400 days or replace it after 400 days 😆 Seriously, I have no clue..

arutha
                    Participant

Thanks William, I did check the fork but thinking about it I didn’t check it again when I raised it as obviously the rod would need to lean at a greater angle!
                      there is no point in going back to the original suspension wire as it ran far too slowly, somebody has been messing around with this clock before me which always makes things more difficult. :(
                      Paul.

arutha
                      Participant

hi Chris, yep, they run for around 400 days on 1 wind which is why they are also known as anniversary clocks as you can wind them on an anniversary each year. Nice things but can be a pain to set up. I will take some pics for you tomorrow. It is an early one with a disc pendulum.

chris mabbott
                        Participant

Thanks Paul my bruva, I’ll look forward to seeing this, sounds very interesting although I would hate to change the mainspring, must be HUUUGE 😆

Bob Tascione

Hey Chris,
                            The movement is mostly mainspring but the secret to it’s long run is the escapement itself. Very little impulse needed with long duration between beats.
                            When you have a chance google ‘torsion escapement’.
                            We’re gonna get you hooked on clocks yet! :D
                            Bob

arutha
                            Participant

Strangely enough Chris although being quite long they are not huge. Because of the design of the movement and escapement they take a very small amount of power to run. Some of the earlier 400 day clocks did have quite strong springs but the barrel size is no bigger than that you would find in an 8 day striking clock. In fact in the later 400 day clocks the barrels are not much bigger than those found in a carriage clock.
                              Paul.

arutha
                              Participant

Bob always explains things better than i do :) We must have posted at the same time :)

Bob Tascione

Bob always explains things better than i do

No way! I just put up a quick condensed version so I could hit the send button before you did Paul! :D
                                  Bob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.