Home Forums General Discussion Forum Yet Another Salvage Job

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

I got this Elgin 3 finger bridge convertible as a parts only movement, being sold as such due to most of its vital organs having been robbed 👿 missing balance, banking pins, parts of the winding assembly etc

So it has taken me some time to find replacement parts in order to restore it back to its former glorious existence.
      These are quite hard to find, and when you do find one, it is usually outrageously priced..
      I used to collect convertibles as, IMHO, one of Elgins finest creation… To the purist, please note I say IMHO & one of 😆

Anyway, I was just mucking about taking some photos so I thought I would post them for no other reason than to …. Make a post :D

Right now I’m waiting anxiously for the balance wheel and staff to arrive.. The case I have is a nice full hunter from around the same period, but the movement doesn’t quite fit exactly, so I’m trying to figure out the best way to make it fit..the alternatives are

Put the movement in the lathe and turn down 0.037 mm from the outer diameter.. NOOOOO 😮
      Or to remove some material from the inside diameter of the case….yes? Phew 🙄

Enough preamble, to the pics… Sorry if they’re too big, I’m on la puta pad 😆

chris mabbott
      Participant

Two more

bernie weishapl
        Participant

I have a couple of those Chris that I need to get on. I have a couple of those that I also have completed and do like working on them. Nice looking watch.

bamadadof3
          Participant

I like the pressed in (friction jewels) on these models. Is it me or normally do the friction jewel models have larger rubies than the screwed down settings? I think that is why I like them better the beautiful red jewels are larger and they seem to glimmer better. The American companies could have learned a few things from the Swiss about aesthetics when the Swiss made those fake railroad watches they put some huge rubies and in some cases sapphires in the settings and they looked fantastic!

Nice looking movement I like all the finger style PW models but I don’t think I’ve seen a Elgin finger bridge before. I have only been collecting for about 6 months so I’m still a newbie!I have to admit I am not yet an Elgin collector just because I collect by looks alone and have never been attracted to any of the Elgins. This one looks nice though so I’ll have to keep my eyes open. As far as American makers I think I like the Rockford finger bridge models the best because they always seem to have very nice crisp damasking on top of the plates and I am a sucker for nice Damasking.

That’s an interesting ratchet wheel/ Barrel wheel configuration. Where is the click located and what function does the chrome arm have on top of the barrel wheel?

Thanks for sharing!

bamadadof3
            Participant

This is the first Pocket watch I purchased to keep for myself and what got me started with my addiction. I am going to try and collect sun ray damasked watches first and go from there but I have found that any watch with nice damasking is in danger around me. Don’t even get me started on 2-tone damasked watches!

This watch had some small problems but overall was in really good shape. I found out my addiction will have include all the Bunn model and Bunn Special models so that will take several decades to finish. The 3/4 plate 16S Bunn special will probably be my next purchase so if one comes up that needs some work that I can actually do and it’s cheap it’s coming my way. First I’ve got to get a few of my parts Hampdens up and running and cased so the bank account can get replenished.

I had a really nice Rockford 515 model parts movement that was in a box with a bunch of these Hampdens and I thought about doing exactly what you are doing and just find the missing parts but those Rockfords parts are few and far between especially for the rare 515. It had a really nice damasked look so I was kinda sad to let it go. I have realized that Hampdens, Rockfords, and south Bends are getting hard to find some basic parts for or at least find them at reasonable prices. The Elgins , Walthams and Illinois seem to be much easier to find what you need.

chris mabbott
              Participant

Thanks Glenn,

The actual jewels on this model are rubbed-in, but the settings are pressed in..
                Most, a great percentage, of the “jewels” are not actual rubbies, but garnet, which come in various colors naturally, those colors are purple, red, opaque, pink and clear. Originally natural garnets were used, but later, I’m not sure when, man made stones were used..
                The term “rubbies” is a marketing term as I don’t believe real rubbies were used, it referred to the ruby red color.

There are some beautiful Elgins around if you can find them and they made some fine time pieces… The 3 finger convertible is one in a line of three models, I’ll post another type and an Elgin, just because like yourself, I love the demaskeening eye candy effect 8-)

The convertible can be used as either an open face or a hunter, you can change the winding gear to either orientation. The silver wheel you see is the time set system. When the lever is pulled, it raises a pin that lifts the arm to engage the gears to set the time. The click/stop is internal, sandwiched between the two halves of the winding gear assembly.

That’s a nice 17j Bunn, these are getting hard to find. I have a couple in this series and I recently found a two tone 17j..

OK on with the shameless photo shoot 😆

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.