Home Forums General Discussion Forum WW Lathe Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    michael ciskowski
    Participant

I want to disassemble the head stock on a Webster Whitcomb headstock on a US Watch Tool Co. lathe to remove the pulley. Can someone advise me how to do it. Left hand end has a dust cover and a threaded ring that comes off. Next is a collet that appears to be threaded on but can see no way to get a safe grip on it to remove it. Thank you, Mike

drichards
      Participant

Hi Mike,
        On the back of the headstock where the draw bar enters, you would remove the oil dust cover then the nut. If the nut is a split nut I use a simple wrench I made that has a lip that enters the slot in the nut. If the nut isn’t a split type nut then I put a rag around the nut for protection and grab it with the inside circular part of a plier. It should back of fairly easily. Loosen the set screw on the spindle and put a piece of wood on the back of the spindle and lightly tap on the wood to move the spindle out the front of the headstock. I also use some light penetrating oil on the spindle to help loosen it up before tapping it out. I don’t know if that is the recommended procedure but it has always worked for me.

Good luck, Dean

michael ciskowski
        Participant

Thank you Dean. This is the information that I needed. Mike

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.