Home Forums General Discussion Forum WOW! I was pleasantly surprised!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    peggy332014
    Participant

Hi ya’ll! :D

I had been looking all around EBay and other sites for watch parts. My two pocket watches I started with, I ended up messing up one escape wheel trying to get it back in between the watch plates before the other gears fell out, and my first pocket watch… I somehow lost the pinion off one wheel.

So I was looking at all sorts of part lots on EBay but just didn’t like the looks of most of them. Steampunk stuff just looked old and rusty.

Then last week I found a lot of watch parts that said they were all new, and the pic looked okay, so I decided to just order one lot and see what happens.

When I got them, the first thing I said when I opened them… WOW! WOW! WOW! ❗ ❗ These were nice! And lots of wheels and other things to choose from! There were a few mainspring barrels, a few different clicks and train bridges, and all sorts of wire springs… but… the wheels were awesome! I’m going to enjoy having these as good replacement parts, and there looks to be a couple of wheels that will work in my pocket watches.

I know to make sure of the size and diameter, the tooth counts, and the pinion gears.. but I just wanted to share my ‘find’ with ya’ll!

They’re all a nice shiny brass and silver… new! The lighting on the pic doesn’t give the true color like I hoped, but none of them were old, dark, or rusty. These also happen to be Steampunk. That’s okay, it will give me a nice inventory of spare parts!

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Looks pretty good Peggy. Hopefully you will have better luck with yours than I did mine. Several years ago I bought a bunch like that. I found them in a drawer getting a watch work space set up. Only problem I found with the box full I got was I only used one or two pieces out of it in 15 yrs. 😆 Seems like there was never the piece I needed in it.

peggy332014
        Participant

That’s okay Bernie! I look at it as a start of some type of inventory. As I’ve looked around, it seems that every watch is put together different. I’ve only seen one or two brands such as the Walthum and the Hamilton’s that have very similar plates and train bridges. Seems every watch has different looking wheels. But, the way I loose parts, maybe one of those springs will be what I need, and I can maybe match up a pivot here and there.

It was interesting to see all what was in there!

bernie weishapl
          Participant

That is for sure Peggy. Looks like a lot of spring barrels and wheels.

peggy332014
            Participant

Yup! Lot’s of the smaller watch train gears. Of all the stuff, I only found one escape wheel pallet fork.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.