Home Forums General Discussion Forum wiring from Swiss to American

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    bobpat
    Participant

as David pointed out on the nameplate that I missed, 220/440 volts. You will only find 440-480 in three phase. I cani imagine this little motor 3 phase, but it could very well be, If you had people look at it, than it must be. I have never seen a three phase motor with a twist lock plug on it, Big surprise to you if you unplug that under load, that’s why you never use plug on three phase,But , anyways, they will straighten it out and you’ll be good to go.. Nice piece of equipment

david pierce
      Participant

Bob, William,
        This tool was designed to be used in a factory and is not a standard small shop watch repair device. A couple of reasons factories insist on 3 phase motors are they draw less wattage for a given hp output and load balancing problems with the incoming lines. Factories can use hundreds and even thousands of fractional hp motors and insisting on using 3 phase devices eliminates these problems. Also, as a seasoned electriction you know that running 440 vac allows a smaller gage wire to be used to carry the same amount of wattage to the motor. All of these advantages can become disadvantages when the motor is taken out of a factory environment.
        david

willofiam

Well…..it is finally finished, it is a 3 phase, here is a picture of the phase converter they put on, wired from that to plug into my 220. Sounded like they had to rewire a couple of things in the switch-box, works great. Thank you guys for the help, I will post pictures of it in the other thread. William

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.