Home Forums General Discussion Forum when rewiring a lathe motor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nic422
    Participant

I have put in a new chord for my Watch Craft Lathe motor, the old one was greasy. I decided to use a grounded chord to avoid possible small shocks on the bed of the lathe. One thing I have noticed is that my stock seems to be more magnetic than usual and the metal dust sticks to the piece. Has anyone experienced something similar, or know if there is a correlation from grounding the motor and creating magnetic charge?
      thanks!

willofiam

Hey Nic, I have had the same issues with the metal chips, not sure why or what the solution could be, guess I figured thats just the way it is. William

david pierce
        Participant

Nic,
          Make sure you do not have an electrical leak. The purpose of the ground wire is to carry the charge to ground in case the insulation on the coils should break down. There should not be any current running to ground if the motor is functioning properly. If you are not sure how to check it take it to a motor shop and have it looked at.
          david

nic422
          Participant

Thanks David, I have looked for motor shops around and haven’t found one. Maybe I am looking up the wrong search? What do you look for when searching for a small motor or machine shop?
            Nick

david pierce
            Participant

Nic,
              Try ELECTRIC MOTOR REPAIR or/and REWINDING. This is a profession in its own rite. Typically the people who do this type of work attended two years of schooling before working in the field. A general machine shop will not have the expertise to deal with these types of problems.
              david

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.