Home Forums General Discussion Forum What’s Everyone Currently Working On

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

Hi Charles,

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you, restoration, if done properly, is as important as servicing, it maintains the original aspect of any piece and makes it last longer. Nothing wrong with adding 10, 20, 30 or more years of life to something.
      It is a very personal decision though, some collectors prefer not to touch or clean patina, nor repair natural wear and tear, which is fine too.

I’ll be curious to see the results as I have a couple of badly chipped dials that I would eventually like to repair, only if it doesn’t exceed the value of the watch 😆
      If you could post before and after shots, that would be great..

Chris

c.kelly
      Participant

Hi,
        I started to post a before picture of my dial I have sent in for restoration but I double checked and found I had already posted one with my original topic “Longines Conquest”. When I get redone dial in I will post that there as well. If you look at that dial it had a badly done touch up on number track at 5:00 with color loss. There was a hold up at restorer because he didn’t have exact match die of my dial, different font. He could have done mine exact match but would have cost extra $35.00 but having exact match wasn’t that important to me. He is going to use a script font on “conquest” instead of the print mine had. No big deal to me as long as dial looks better which I know it will. I just couldn’t think of taking that watch, getting it running well and then putting that ragged dial back on it.

Thanks,
        Charles K

david pierce
        Participant

Charles,
          Please post a contact for the dial restorer. Do they restore enamel dials using the original manufacturing process? Can they make a dial from scratch?
          Thanks,
          david

chris mabbott
          Participant

Typical, I’ve been waiting for some things to arrive in the mail, today I go out just before the mailman cometh, when I get home, there is the familiar missed package tag sticking out the box 👿
            Problem is, I’ll be tossing and turning all night wondering what has arrived, motor or watch 😯 I wish they would hurry up and invent particle beaming like on star trek LOL

Stay tuned…

Chris

willofiam

Hey Guys, here is a neat clock I have just finished working on, It is a International Time Recording Co. regulator, possible date of 1931 (a division of IBM) regulator. It appears it hasnt been worked on since 1969, sure was gummed up enough to have been that long. Brought in for a movement service and a new suspension spring as all the electrical is working o.k. Notice how the 2 weight cables are wound up on a single drum, this automatically winds itself. No chimes. Seems to be ticking away just fine now…

arutha
              Participant

Nice job William, well done.
                I have just noticed your “Sheriff” badge is missing from your waistcoat!
                Paul :)

chris mabbott
                Participant

That looks like a pretty complicated setup to me William, I’ve never worked on clocks and by looking at your photos, I wouldn’t know where to begin 🙄

Chris

tmac1956
                  Participant

@willofiam wrote:

Hey Guys, here is a neat clock I have just finished working on, It is a International Time Recording Co. regulator, possible date of 1931 (a division of IBM) regulator. It appears it hasnt been worked on since 1969, sure was gummed up enough to have been that long. Brought in for a movement service and a new suspension spring as all the electrical is working o.k. Notice how the 2 weight cables are wound up on a single drum, this automatically winds itself. No chimes. Seems to be ticking away just fine now…[attachment=2:1ok1n7rw]DSCN6723_01.JPG[/attachment:1ok1n7rw][attachment=1:1ok1n7rw]DSCN6727_01.JPG[/attachment:1ok1n7rw][attachment=0:1ok1n7rw]DSCN6728_01.JPG[/attachment:1ok1n7rw]

It looks like IBM made some great clocks. The joke for IBM computers was that their acrnoym IBM stood “It Be Messed-up” ;)
                    Tom

chris mabbott
                    Participant

Tom I would love to see your clock but the images aren’t showing on my end?

Chris

mahlon
                      Participant

Hey William, I was just over at a friend of mine last night. He has a, If I remember correctly, a Seth Thomas, that is battery powered. It also winds it’s self every hour. I mentioned that I had seen yours on this forum, he seem to think that the same movement was used in both. I never knew there was such a critter 😯 Mahlon

tmac1956
                        Participant

@Chris Mabbott wrote:

Tom I would love to see your clock but the images aren’t showing on my end?

Chris

Chris:

I used the “Quote” feature from William’s post. Those are his images – I guess the forum just shows the image URLs on quotes to save time and real estate.

Later,
                          Tom

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.