Home Forums General Discussion Forum What the minority clock collectors need is ANOTHER VIDEO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    trumpeterjack29
    Participant

Now that Mr. Tascione is, or has been, working on another video covering strike/chime trains (including, I HOPE, the great Antique British ones),and perhaps other videos as well, what is truly needed, is a video covering the early German Black Forest music clocks, especially the trumpeter and flute clocks and the tall organ clocks (sometimes called flute clocks in Europe). Mr. Tascione, hint, hint—-LOL.

arutha
      Participant

I would like to see one on 400 day or anniversary clocks as so many seem to struggle with them and they are very common. :)

Bob Tascione

Haaa, you’re asking the wrong guy Trumpeterjack
          You most likely know more about those clocks than I ever have! :D
          Some of our European clockmakers up here would be much better candidates for making a course about these clocks. I know I would buy it.

Also, ‘Bob’ works much better for me than Mr. Tascione. When I hear Mr. Tascione I usually run and hide. That’s what Phyllis (my wife) calls me when I’m in trouble. Been hiding a lot lately! :D

Happy Holidays Jack,
          Bob

trumpeterjack29
          Participant

@Bob Tascione wrote:

Haaa, you’re asking the wrong guy Trumpeterjack
            You most likely know more about those clocks than I ever have! :D
            Some of our European clockmakers up here would be much better candidates for making a course about these clocks. I know I would buy it.
            Also, ‘Bob’ works much better for me than Mr. Tascione. When I hear Mr. Tascione I usually run and hide. That’s what Phyllis (my wife) calls me when I’m in trouble. Been hiding a lot lately! :D
            Happy Holidays Jack,
            Bob

_____c_________________________________
            Thanks, Bob; happy holidays to you and your family as well. You know, I read what you posted on your website, about your background in machining, your background in clock/watch repair, etc., and was quite surprised at how similar, almost identical, your background is to that of my former clock repair class teacher from years ago. He too, came from the greater Los Angels area, he too was initially trained as a machinist, and eventually migrated to working on clocks, watches, and especially working on the great old historical mechanical music making machines of the past. He traveled a specific route, here in Oregon, working on antique clocks, etc., for most of the antique shops in the state, and he gained a reputation for being among the very best who work on such things. He taught clock/watch repair, etc. part time at the Community College level, and also taught community classes for years. He is now retired, but his son is following in his footsteps. I had, still have, a fascination with his expertise in caring for the great old mechanical music making machines, and wonderful music clocks from the distant past. That is why I have serious interests in trumpeter clocks. To the best of my knowledge, there are only one or two men around this country, who are skilled and most knowledgeable, when it comes to working on them, though there is a small active community of collectors of these gems.

Bob Tascione

Thanks Trumpeterjack,
              Those clocks would occasionally come through the shop back in the 70s but usually only saw them at the NAWCC marts. Guys would show their collections and talk about them for a bit. My guess is that clockmakers on the East coast came across more of them than those of us on the Western side. Europeans would definitely have seen many more than we do over here. Cool clocks for sure though!
              One slight correction. Clock and watchmaking is what prompted me to move into machining rather than the other way around. I was struggling with making Skeleton clocks back in my early 20s and felt that I needed more machining experience if I wanted to continue making clocks so started at a machine shop and turned out to be an interesting field. So I continued machining for a while and did watch and clock repair after hours. Amazing how much energy we had back in our 20s huh? :D

Well take care Jack and again enjoy the holidays!
              Bob

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.