Home Forums General Discussion Forum What Do You Use in Your Ultrasonic Machine?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Yes Tim I do use the heat as Chris has said. Yes the warm solution does a better job. As was said before be careful with alcohol with pallet jewels and roller jewels or any held with shellac as was stated. I just rinse jewels with warm/hot water after cleaning and then a quick dip in naptha to displace the water before hitting the dryer. My US solution (zep) I use in my US today gets used several times. I just keep a eye on it till it is what I think is to dirty to use or I can see it isn’t cleaning like I think it should. Generally I change it out about every 4 months or so. Back when I was using the L & R stuff that cost $50 plus per container for cleaning and rinse solution I used it till it was getting rather dark in color. I maybe would change it once a year or so. It would take around $125 to fill my US (2 1/2 gallons) and then another $100 or more for rinse. Now with Zep I run my parts thru the US, then 3 water rinses and then either naptha or DNA rinse depending if it has jewels or not. So over $225 for L & R cleaner and rinse just stuck in my craw. So I made it last till it just wouldn’t clean anymore. 😆 The cleaner I would recycle and use it as a pre-soak before putting the clock in my US. You have gotten sound advice from all. Try different things and find what works for you. Just my $1.298. 😆

maitai11
      Participant

Very good, fellas, I certainly appreciate everything you’ve shared with me.

Everything is clean, as best as I can tell, with a few little bumps (I hope little). First, I used Bernie’s Zep method, but I only did one water rinse (soaked everything, really), and then a denatured alcohol dip and into the “dryer”, haha.

Of course, being the inexperienced hack that I am, I dipped the pallet, jewels and all, into the alcohol, put it in the box, then realized how stupid that was and rinsed it really, really well in water – and then back into the box. It was only “alcohol molested” for about a minute or so…Geez guys, I sure hope I didn’t mess that one up beyond repair. We shall see.

I ended up removing several what I would call “adjustment parts”, which consisted of removing parts from both sides of the watch base. Chris? I’m attaching pictures! Ooooh, boy, I really do not know what I’m doing…and I’m hoping that THAT little poorly planned action on the watch works out in the end AS WELL, and that pulling those parts out doesn’t throw everything off.

So, back to the Bernie Method, I labeled all my little Bernie Baskets (see pic above) 1 – 10, and on the second round of cleaning various parts, half of the labels fell off. Of course, the labels that DID fall off left me with two jewels that were totally and completely mixed up, leaving me confused as all get-out…I’ll just have to see what fits, but I can tell you that they were the type where there are two jewels stacked together, as in the balance cock (I think the other was the base plate).

What struck me most about the cleaning process was how much work was involved – and time. However, I’m going super-slowly, and everything is assigned a pill box or Tupperware container – it’s really, really organized, and I’m glad I did – I mean, just think of those jewels! Beyond that, I was a little disappointed with some of the black recessed lettering being removed from the bridge labeled “Illinois”, so I may follow in the footsteps of my uncle, who used a pinhead to fill black enamel paint into the surface of a gold Hawaiian necklace that I bought my Mom years ago. The original enamel (her name in Hawaiian) was quickly coming out of the recessed lettering, so he devised a way (painting with a pinhead) to give it some new life. I may or may not do the same for the “Illinois” on that bridge. But, all in all, I am very pleased with the US cleaning results on all the parts – and, OMG, the CASE – the case looks almost brand new, and yes Chris, I will be taking the dent out of that rear portion of the hunter hinged cover. I’m like you Chris, I just LOVE shiny things, so the brilliant brass finish (the smooth insides are just dazzling) really appeals to me. I’m not sure whether or not I’ll be keeping this one for my own (first watch, right?) but I’ll wait until the thing is running well first, haha.

Sooooooo…

As you can see, this little journey of mine is turning into an adventure! I will begin reassembling the watch tomorrow, and let you know how things are going! Good times!!!

Also, I figured out what the “special red grease” was (housed in a wooden cask of sorts). Larry sent me some Mobius grease and watch oil, along with the other special grease. After an email to him and a photo to match, it turns out that thing isn’t grease at all – it’s an oil well!!! SEE??? I told you I’m an inexperienced hack! Please refer all newbies in the forum to me so that they can see how silly beginners look :/ At least I didn’t DNA the roller jewel!

I gotta say, this is one hell of a ride. It’s always interesting when there are so many things you don’t know that you don’t know. Everyone here looks and sounds to me like some kind of horological guru in his own rite…including you, Joe – AT LEAST you know how a lathe is used in watchmaking!

Years ago, I became somewhat of an apprentice leather crafter in the mid-90’s. I found a friend (whom I’ve never met, to this day) in Australia who very, very kindly wrote letters REAL letters – before the internet – to me that included intricate blueprints and diagrams on how to build a leather fire bucket, and later on, an actual leather fire helmet (Australian-style). I plodded through, starting with the bucket – and I finished it – much to my satisfaction. But I waited on the helmet, and when I was talking about it with an acquaintance, he asked me why I hadn’t yet started on it after all this time (about 6 months). I replied, “I’m afraid to cut the leather…” Haha – we had a good laugh over that. But, that’s kind of where I’m at now with this watch. There’s not a whole lot more to pull off this watch – I’m leaving the dial screws in, and so on. So, as you might imagine, I’m a little trepidatious moving forward – but I won’t wait six months. I have a morning appointment, and then I’ll probably dial in Bob’s course to start me onto the road to success!

Again, thank you for all your knowledge and kindness, but especially for your kindness. Really.

All the best,

Tim :)

maitai11
        Participant

Here are those pics of what I removed, before I removed them. It’s all the stuff with screws and so on. On both pics, what I’m referring to are the parts close to where the winding stem terminates on the right side of the plate. The elaborate twisted parts, and the “c” or “e” shaped part on the 2nd pic. Thanks. T

bernie weishapl
          Participant

Looks like it is going well for you Tim. What a ride? huh! 😆

maitai11
            Participant

You bet Bernie :) And being over here makes it really, really fun! Pardon me while I step off info the black hole of reassembly :/

Tim

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.