Home Forums General Discussion Forum What Do You All Collect & Why?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    randy
    Participant

Thanks Chris…

Yes,..I think that the text is worth it.
      Just did quick check and I think that the only way you may currently find the course is on a CD.
      Saw one for sale on Ebay.
      I bought it , and then printed it off one section at a time.

Hairsprings can be fun….
      I use strong tweezers to pull one coil from the barrel.
      Then I use both thumbs and let the remaining coils out by lifting one thumb at a time while the coils pass underneath.

Best,

Randy

david pierce
      Participant

That UNITRON microscope is an awsome tool. It can measure jewels (id and od), staffs, pivots, hole dimensions and locations, gear teeth, screws and any other tiny part to .0001 inches. I have some other nice lathes as well which include a LEVIN (square head) instrument lathe with turret, a LEVIN ball bearing headstock WW watchmaker lathe, a DERBYSHIRE double pedistal instrumthe lathe with turret, and a whole bunch of others WOLF JAHN, LORCH, PEERLESS, DERBYSHIRE, BOLEY, UNIMAT, SINCERE, etc. I have been collecting these machines for the past 43 years. I will try to see what I can do to get the pictures out.
        david

chris mabbott
        Participant

David, those Derbyshire lathes are pretty rare beast I understand, rare as hens teeth, you only see a few advertised now and then..
          Do you have full tooling and attachments for all the models?

The lathe pictured is in fantastic condition, the coating looks brand new, it looks like a beige color and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that hasn’t been green, matt, or chromed..

I’ll be looking forward to seeing your collection with great anticipation 8-)

Chris

david pierce
          Participant

Chris,
            Derbyshire lathes are fairly common over here. The company is still in business and in my view they produce the finest instrument lathes ever made. Doug Smith, the owner, produces a spindle that is as accurate as a mechanical bearing and spindle can go. The only way to achieve more accuracy would be to go to an air spindle or hydraulic spindle. Another nice thing about their machines is everything lines up perfectly. The tail stocks are dead on with the spindles.
            I bought a printed copy of THE CHICAGO SCHOOL OF WATCHMAKING from UNCLE LARRY’S WATCH SHOP. He had a bunch of copy’s run off from a printing company and may still sell them. Check and see.
            david

randy
            Participant

Chris,
              I must’ve been loopy when replying to you.
              You said “Hairsprings” and I read “Mainspring”..
              Sorry …I obviously need more sleep.

😯

gerene
              Participant

A few years ago I did buy a copy of the “Chicago school of watchmaking” on ebay. It came on a CD. However, job sheet W14-J9 page 2 of 2 is missing in the pdf. This is about changing Incabloc shock protecting device. Does somebody have this page and is willing to post a pdf thereof? I would really appreciate to be able to make my copy complete.

Jan

randy
                Participant

I’ll see if I have it Jan

tmac1956
                  Participant

Chris:

I collect tools which, as anti-matter destroys matter, tools destroy money. Thus, I collect anti-money. I cannot help it. If I see or read of a tool that might assist me, I’ll do my best to buy it.

So sad. ;)

Thanks!
                    Tom

randy
                    Participant

Jan
                      Can you tell me which lesson number and pages you think are missing ?
                      I’m not seeing the designators you are referencing

Randy

tmac1956
                      Participant

Mine is missing too. Perhaps someone that has the actual printed course will scan page 2 of 2 for us.

Later,
                        Tom

randy
                        Participant

mine is broken out by section numbers, starting a 1 and going up consecutively.

Can either of you tell me what lesson number or section you are in/missing?

tmac1956
                          Participant

Lesson 14 Friction Jeweling – Sections 330-345 – Job Sheet (6-56) W14-J9 (page 2 of 2)

We are missing page 2 of 2

Please let us know if you need more info.

Thanks!
                            Tom

randy
                            Participant

Mine goes right to page 10…sorry guys, no 2nd page in mine either.

tmac1956
                              Participant

Hmmm…. I wonder if the “page 1 of 2” is a typo…

Thanks!
                                Tom

chris mabbott
                                Participant

@tmac1956 wrote:

Chris:

I collect tools which, as anti-matter destroys matter, tools destroy money. Thus, I collect anti-money. I cannot help it. If I see or read of a tool that might assist me, I’ll do my best to buy it.

So sad. ;)

Thanks!
                                  Tom

Tom, I love it, anti-money 😆

Yes sir, I think you’re one of the lucky ones, if you add pocket watches/clocks, and spare parts/material to the list then you have a HUUGE black hole that swallows all types of matter 😆

I hope you’re not going to leave me guessing as to what type of tools you collect, at least a little sneak preview photo would be appreciated 😈

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.