Home Forums General Discussion Forum What Are You Playing With

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

I know, I know, it’s a claaaasic thread but hey, its Sunday, so a dead day, at least here in downtown espana where all is shut on Sunday.. 🙄

I’ve just pulled this one out for a turn at the scalpel ..
      Not sure what grade it is, it’s an unknown in all the Rockford books & databases, even the serial number doesn’t exist in the run, so… it looks like a grade 80 but I don’t know?
      Anyway, it’s an early 1890’s Rockford 18s, 17j, adjusted OF with a really pretty gold flash pattern to the plates, which is why I got it, I suppose, because it was a long time ago and the memory has faded 🙄

Show em if you got em boyz :)

david pierce
      Participant

Chris,
        It looks like you are going to get some more practice with your screw polishing.
        david

chris mabbott
        Participant

Aha, good eye David, yep she needs attention, those 3/4 case screws are a bugger though, they really tear up the polishing thingymajig but no fear, they will shine, oh yes 8-)
          Then again, they could have been blued? Watcha think chaps, mirror or blue?

david pierce
          Participant

Chris,
            Mirror then blue.
            david

gerene
            Participant

I would blue them. I think it would contrast nice with the gold flash. 8-)

Jan

arutha
              Participant

Being a bit old fashioned I like to stick with how things are so if you cant see any trace of bluing I would just polish them.
                I am working on a run of the mill striking clock at the moment but the next “nice” clock I work on will be laid bare for you to see :)
                Paul.

namonllor1953
                Participant

Ahhh, mah brutha, mah brutha,

I’ve been pounding sand with an Ingersoll Reliance PW for 3 days now. If it ain’t one thing, it’s another. I could probably disassemble and assemle this thing with my lower lip streched over my head and stapled to the back of my neck.
                  I’m putting the PW aside for now and going back to the Inraham clock I was working on when I first signed up for this “learning experience”.
                  I’m actually okay with all this though as, I’m learning all sorts of stuff about watches, trains and myself. I’m loving it all and hoping to just get better at it, as time goes by.

As for your blueing or polish question.
                  I vote along with David on this, Blue and Polish. It’ll look dynamite against the gold plate.

chris mabbott
                  Participant

Thanks gents for your comments, and for confirming the direction I was swinging in, blue, oh sweet blue on gold 8-)

Ren, make sure that you post some photos of the lip stapling to the back of your head thing, I for one am…… Curious, been thinking of trying that myself 😆

randy
                    Participant

I had the case..but needed another one just like it so I would have the dial-side bezel for a display back.
                      Tore it down, changed out the cracked roller. Polished everything.
                      I’ve always loved the 940 movement.

willofiam

Randy, you will like this…..Just serviced a music box beer stein…….whodah thunk :) Everytime you lift the stein the music plays and the doll spins….funny though, I dont remember the music but I DO remember the spinning back when I was a drinker…..

randy
                        Participant

Ach Ya !!!
                          And on the bottom it says “drink, drink, all my brothers drink “.Its the start of an old beer hall song.. 😯
                          I know what you mean about spinning …been there a few times myself.

Cool stein Wiliam !!!

david pierce
                          Participant

How on earth do you have enough room to hold the beer? 🙄

chris mabbott
                            Participant

The Hamilton 940 is a nice work of art Randy, I like these too and yours is a beauty 8-) Is this the one you just changed the staff on?

William – I LAAAV that stein, these are really great collectibles, thanks for posting..

chris mabbott
                              Participant

I started working on this Waltham 19j 645 yesterday. The 21j models are fairly easy to find, but the 19j types don’t show up that often.

So a bit of a restoration on this one apart from the service. It’s absolutely covered in dried oil/grease, and to make matters worse, looks like someone had sprayed/poured oil inside, so it’s also swimming. This ain’t bad because it has prevented rusting and it has worked on the dry stuff to prevent it from hardening too much.. The HS is also toast as is the staff.. apart from these usual things, it so far looks good..
                                Every single piece will need individually detailing by hand, which began with all the screws yesterday, Mmm mirror polishing :D

randy
                                Participant

Thanks Chris…Yes..it had a few issues to work through..but now it runs really well.
                                  I’m getting about 285 degrees face up/down..just a bit less pendant up..on average…
                                  Have fun ungunking your new project !!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.