Home Forums General Discussion Forum Westminster Chimes ( aka photos )

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    les458
    Participant

Hi I am going to start on clocks shortly, my eyesight is not good enough for Pocket Watches now, 8-) maybe we can help each other out, I found studying watches was a great way to keep the mind working, and I am really enjoying it, like you I am retired, I just bought my first victim from a charity shop yesterday, a nice Napoleon Hat mantle 8 day clock (not working ) will put some photos on as soon as I get the movement out, all the springs seem tightly wound , so I shall have to get a let down key and some new tools I have Bob,s Clock Course which will be a big help, But I will accept any Tips or suggestions along the way, Cheers for Now, Regards Les

I agree its very quiet here, lets see if we can liven things up a bit, as I said in my last post I picked up a napoleon hat chiming clock to work on, it’s a 3X The chimes where great, but the clock refused to go, after examining it I found what I think is the problem, but I would like someone to verify it for me, It appears from the set up of the escapement that the whole lot was made to be replaced without much trouble, :mrgreen:
      But I would still like your opinion, pics posted so come on chaps lets hear from you, Best Regards Les ;)

les458
      Participant

Chime let down with a few other photos, :D

Bob Tascione

Hi Les,
          From what I can see in the pictures the pallet assembly looks pretty good. The movement looks like it can use a good cleaning and oiling.
          If you still have the pallet and crutch assembly off of the movement you might try putting a little power into the time train mainspring (just a couple of turns).
          If the escape wheel spins freely then your pallet depth may have need adjusting. It may have gotten pushed down a bit too deep into the escape wheel. That happens quite often
          If you can try that and let us know if it spins freely then we can go from there. You probably don’t want to put too much power into the movement as you don’t want the escape wheel to spin too fast with dirt in the pivot holes. Just enough to see if everything is free.
          Would like to see the clock when you get it back together.
          Have fun as always Les!
          Bob

les458
          Participant

Hi Bob, Gave the movement a couple of turns, it run quiet freely, put the pallet back in, the holes on the front piece are elongated so I tightened them at the high point first and moved down slowly it runs for a few seconds only, even if just a little pressure on the pallet itself starts it for a few seconds, I did not want to strip it down until I thought there may be a chance of repairing it, I have limited space and resources, if I manage to get it going again I would be delighted. But not holding my breath as it is a big challenge for me :mrgreen:
            Best Regards Les

Bob Tascione

Hi Les,
              Nice clean looking tambour case.
              I noticed that you don’t have the pendulum leader hanging from the suspension spring. Also noticed in the pics from your previous post that the suspension spring is missing the small post that goes through it to hang the pendulum leader from. May be the wrong spring. If you don’t have an assortment of suspension springs yet you may want to grab one as you will go through them quite often. Anyway you could press a small pin through the spring chock to give the pendulum something to hang from to try it out.
              The clock will need a good cleaning and oiling soon even if it runs ok…but might take off for now when you get that pendulum on there correctly.

I’ll post again in a few of hours on this topic…got to run for a bit right now.

Bob

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.