Home Forums General Discussion Forum Weight cable replacement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jimrmcd
    Participant

I have a Herman Miller wall clock with a Hermle 351-830 84cm movement. The brass weight cable broke with the cable almost completely wound around the drum. I plan on ordering and installing a new cable but cannot determine how to remove the old cable. It has a plastic guard overlying the cable around the drum. So, I need some help on how to remove the cable so that I can measure it (to order the proper replacement length) and reinstall the new cable.

bernie weishapl
      Participant

You should be able to remove the cable drum without taking the movement apart. If not the only choice you will have is to take it apart and once that is done you might as well clean it. Once you do that then you can take off the plastic guard then remove the cable and measure. Rewrap the new cable, put the cable guard on and reinstall. I think your movement is a 85 cm as Hermle doesn’t make a 84 cm. Looks to be a cable driven time train and spring driven time and strike.

Here is what you need and you can buy this from Black Forest Imports at 1(800)824-0900 Orders Only.

Part Number
        HCAB68 Description
        Cable for Hermle – 68in – For Movements 351-850, 351-830
        Parts & Accessories Qty Available In Stock

jimrmcd
        Participant

Thanks for the reply. You’re right, it is 85, not 84 – a typo. I’ll give it a try and thanks for the info on the proper cable length.

bernie weishapl
          Participant

Your welcome. I am sure you already know if you take the movement down to let the mainsprings down.

arutha
            Participant

@Bernie Weishapl wrote:

Your welcome. I am sure you already know if you take the movement down to let the mainsprings down.

Er, is this a weight driven movement? or am I missing something ;)
              Paul.

bernie weishapl
              Participant

Paul it is a Hermle movement. It is both spring driven for strike and chime. It is cable driven for the time. Strange bird.

arutha
                Participant

You can learn something new every day! I have never seen anything like this Bernie so thanks for taking the time to post up a pic :)
                  Paul.

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

Your welcome Paul. I had worked on one and they are a different.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.