Home Forums General Discussion Forum Watchmakers Needed!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

Just found this article on the web, makes for quite an interesting read :)

http://www.capetowncorp.com/whatsnew/repairarticle.html

tmac1956
      Participant

@Arutha wrote:

Just found this article on the web, makes for quite an interesting read :)

http://www.capetowncorp.com/whatsnew/repairarticle.html

Hmmm…. It sounds like there might be a future in this after all.

vanhooglesnort
        Participant

That salary at the end was a joke, right? 15-16k per year? Is that even above minimum wage? This kind of a self=supporting hobby for me, but I’m pretty sure I could make more than that part time if I tried. Is it really that bleak?

Bob Tascione

Hi all,
            Good article but pretty sure it’s been around for quite awhile. Those are old numbers Vanhooglesnort.

Bob

watchthebear
            Participant

Hello all, copied this from article: ” Some are already complaining that they can spend months looking for people skilled enough to work on expensive complicated watches, despite offering salaries that can go as high as $60,000 plus benefits.” stay well…….b

arutha
              Participant

I know from my own experience that when a customer does find me it is usualy a case of them telling me they have been trying to find a clock repairer for months or even years as the guy they used to take it to has gone. I think there could be more people suggested in the figures doing horology as a hobby but there sure aint many doing it as a business.
                Paul.

harold g
                Participant

That is my goal as my body wears out from 35 years as a electrician.I want to learn this because I have always been mesmerized by the mechanics and beauty, but want to start a shop to flip over my electrical business for the watch business. As the saying goes it looks a lot easier than what it realy entails.

arutha
                  Participant

Hi Harold,
                    it takes a lot of reading, research and sometimes tools but once you get into it there are not many things more enjoyable :)
                    Paul.

willofiam

Hey Harold G welcome to the forum, and everyone else, how goes it :) ? I have had the same issues with the worn out body and have had 25 years of my own cabinetmaking business, incorporating any other type of construction, NOW, getting to old :( !!!! started my clock repair business last year, countless hours of study, working on my own stuff and investing everything I had into this new and exciting direction, many hurdles to jump over but it gets easier as you go, I foresee the ability to carry on till the day I croak, (physically anyway) Do you have a shop space already? I first left the door open in the wood-shop and built a small area for the clocks, it wasnt long before I made the full time decision in the clock repair giving it 100% and taking the chance as there does not seem to be anyone around here that has invested knowledge into proper repair. I have turned down numerous woodworking jobs but once in awhile I have picked a good one to do just because I have the nice guy syndrome. I was partially prepared financially as the income, as you may know, started out a bit less than what I was used to. My dilemma now is space, even after 2 shop remodels ( I wish Bob or Paul would dig up a can or 2 out of the backyard and send enough for a addition 😆 ) I have been blessed in many areas and also give much credit to Bobs forum, a wealth of knowledge and insight from all the members in all areas, :D :D I hope it stays fun :D :D William

arutha
                      Participant

I would love to help William but what with my bad back etc…… :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.