Home Forums General Discussion Forum Watchmaker Screwdriver Blades.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

Hi all,
      just wondering what you guys do with regard to screwdriver blades. Do you re-sharpen or buy new?
      I have been finding when I re-sharpen them they dont seem to hold their tips quite as well. I have been making replacements from blued pivot steel but again not quite sure they last as well?
      Thanks in advance.
      Paul.

tmac1956
      Participant

Paul:

I once asked that question of Bob and he told me to just to buy new blades. He was right. You can get a set of Bergeon blades pretty cheap. I bought a set and turned a cheap French set of handles into something much better than the price paid for them. Now if I had the money I’d get a set of Hortec ball bearing handle and blades. But, I have other tools that I need more. ;)

Later,
        Tom

arutha
        Participant

Thanks Tom :)
          Paul.

gerene
          Participant

I do resharpen my screwdriver blades quite regularly before I replace them. I feel that if they don’t have a perfect shape they don’t perform well.
            I use one of these https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/screwdriver-sharpeners (the cheapest one) which works quite good.
            But blades are not that expensive, so you probably could just replace them as well.

Hey Tom, nice to hear from you again!

Jan

bernie weishapl
            Participant

I just buy new. Not worth my time on that small of a item and they don’t hold their shape after sharpening well at all.

arutha
              Participant

Thank you Bernie and Jan.
                I have sharpened mine a few times now and noticed that sometimes they do last longer. The shape is obviously important but I do wonder if the new blades are case hardened which should make them last a bit longer.
                Paul.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.