Home Forums General Discussion Forum Watch sizes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kybill2011
    Participant

Hey guys, it’s been a while. For the past couple of weeks have been helping the wife with canning. Can’t even count how many jars of blackberry & strawberry jam, pickles, pickled green beans, salsa, pickled veggies we have canned and we have only done about 33 percent of what we are going to do. Now onto the question. I have been studying which oils to use and where but would someone explain the difference between ligne and pocket watch sizes. I know pocket watch sizes but how do ligne relate to them or not. Is ligne just a different way to size watches or is it just for wrist watches or what? Bill

arutha
      Participant

Hi Bill hope you are keeping well?
        The ligne (from the French word meaning “line”) is a unit of length that was in use prior to the French adoption of the metric system in the late 18th century, and is still used by French and Swiss wristwatch makers to measure the size of a watch movement.(That bit copied from wikipeadia).
        This site gives a chart of conversion between American, mm and ligne.
        http://www.cwrnh.com/techpages/watch_movement_size_conversion_c.htm
        Hope that helps Bill :)

kybill2011
        Participant

Thanks Paul. I thought it was just a different waay of measuring and that conversion chart was very helpful. When I was checking on oils they refered to lignes and I was not sure how to convert them. When they refer to a 5 3/4 ligne, that must be a real small movement. Thanks again. Bill

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.