Home Forums General Discussion Forum Watch Servicing Intervals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    maitai11
    Participant

Hi Fellas,

I have a friend who owns a lady’s Rolex wristwatch. I wanted to know the servicing interval, and if it differs from watch to watch, type to type, etc.

As an example (and I don’t know this is true or not,) for my Waterbury #72 Hall Clock, I was told I needed to have it serviced every eight years. Actually, the clock started doing all kinds of wonky stuff right about that time anyway, and the clock guy told me it had to be rebushed, rebuilt, serviced, etc. By the way, is this statement about eight years true?

And, what about pocket watches versus wristwatches? Any differences there? So, my question is:

What is the standard interval for having a watch serviced? How many years? (If you even want to quantify it that way…)

Best,

Tim

chris mabbott
      Participant

Tim,

The general rule is 3-4 years for a service.. Obviously it depends on the use and conditions of use.

Rolex, I daren’t comment on in case they send the MIB to give me a lesson in obedience 😆
        But I can tell you this, if anyone but an officially approved service center messes with it, the warranty is void, and they know, oh yes, somehow, they know :geek:

Tell your friend to be prepared to pay at least $350 – $800+ for a service at an authorized center. Obviously these centers have to pay for the Bergeon/Horotec tooling that they are obliged to have in order to meet the required standards of pre-mentioned manufacturer.. 🙄

arutha
        Participant

Mmm, the BHI suggest 12 months for a gents wrist watch and only 8 months for a ladies watch but then they are still living in the 1800’s!
          Paul.

chris mabbott
          Participant

😆 yep, I saw that too Paul, and my thought was kinda like yours, except I added a few explicatives just for self effect :D

I thought a women’s watch was always a longer duration than a mans? Something to do with women in the military, working harder than us lazy sods perhaps, I’m all for someone else lightening my load, doesn’t matter what gender ;)

bernie weishapl
            Participant

Chris is right on the service for Rolex. A friend of mine just had his done at a authorized service center. The bill was $1800. These service centers have to have specific equipment, be as clean as a hospital operating room, etc. to meet requirements.

As to time between service I tell my customers on pocket watches I work on every 3 yrs if they use them everyday. If the PW sits in the drawer at least wind it once or twice a month with service to come maybe 6 to 8 yrs so it has fresh oil. On clocks I tell them every 8 to 10 yrs they need to be serviced completely. Don’t know if it is right or wrong but that is what I was taught during my apprenticeship. I just carried it on and it has worked well for me. I always tell them if they go 25 or 30 yrs or more that the clock could be ruined. If they are planning on giving it to one of the kids it would be better to keep up the maintenance so they will have a great clock. I always tell them that a grandfather clock is a major purchase. So would you run your Lincoln or Caddy 100,000 miles before you change the oil? Most look at me like I am crazy but say no so I tell them it is no different with a grandfather or any clock for that matter. I always say it is pretty cheap when I overhaul your clock for $400 but that is $50 a year insurance.

maitai11
              Participant

Thanks, Fella’s,

Soooooo…every eight months, eh? Let’s see…she’s had it about 10 years, so if she did the servicing at correct intervals, my guess would be that she would’ve had to have had it in the shop around 15 times. $1800 x 15 =………………………………………..

……………………………………………………

$27,000

Can I get a witness???

Tim :/

maitai11
                Participant

Bernie,

LOVED that 100,000 Lincoln analogy. Some good stuff there.

“That’ll be $400, AND NO, YOU CAN’T WHINE.”

Tim :)

chris mabbott
                  Participant

@maitai11 wrote:

Thanks, Fella’s,

Soooooo…every eight months, eh? Let’s see…she’s had it about 10 years, so if she did the servicing at correct intervals, my guess would be that she would’ve had to have had it in the shop around 15 times. $1800 x 15 =$27,000
                    Can I get a witness???
                    Tim :/

Tim, you’re forgetting one important factor here… Bernie has kindly provided you with the official world currency conversion from PIES, CAKES and of course, tea, coffee, and more importantly………… A chat with these ladies… Total Value = Priceless 8-)

bernie weishapl
                    Participant

😆 😆 YEP!!!!! 😆 😆

maitai11
                      Participant

Speechless.

😯 :D 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.