Watch restoration

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Watch restoration

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    blondfellow
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 22
    • Total Posts: 60

My first restoration using gold plate. 22k gold plate automatic Felicia.

chris mabbott
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 119
    • Total Posts: 1525

I can’t tell too much from the photos but it is shiny and that is attractive 8-)

I’ve been thinking of venturing into the plating zone myself, so any tips, tricks, equipment recommendations would be appreciated..

stevefitzwater
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 48
    • Total Posts: 385

Based on the video that Tom shared awhile back on reverse plating rust off, I was thinking about that also, like replating a bezel for a clock, I would think you would simply reverse the process that Tom shared… correct?

chris mabbott
    Participant

I dunno Steve, possibly ;) I was thinking at one time about replating some kinda hard to find cases that I have, but I read on various forums that on PW cases, it doesn’t last that long if you try to plate over gold filled, it can begin to flake? Like I say, I haven’t really ventured into it, but I’m split on whether to restore or just polish? When I polish a case, any brassing blends in, obviously it’s a maintenance thing, but also an originality issue.

I do have a couple of very worn cases that I was thinking of practicing on, just to see how it turns out.. I’ll wait for you guys to get kitted up and report back ;)

blondfellow
    Participant

Have a look at my youtube vid on these watches, home horology by Blondfellow and there is a vid on the restoration and gilding of a seiko gold watch http://youtu.be/9N7sY54xyUo. Try this link. Tis watch was brush plated, a lot easier and safer than dip plating. Google brush electroplating and there is a lot of good info on the web. The secret os your work must be very clean

chris mabbott
    Participant

Nice video, thanks for posting.
    What is the wheel that you’re using in the first part to polish the parts?

You make this seem fairly easy but I know that you’ve probably done this before, but still, it gives hope and inspiration to those of us who have yet to delve into the darkness 😆

bernie weishapl
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 58
    • Total Posts: 1218

Really nice video.

blondfellow
    Participant

Thanks guys i want to show more videos soon on other watch works. the wheel is a hard buffing wheel. need to get heat for a good scratch remove. I am currently doing an old Handley gold filled watch will post the finished product later when don. having a bit of strife with the balance wheel, stops when I turn it upside down. have to change the jewel and post i think.https://www.youtube.com/watch v=0Al61WO0FkQ&index=3&list=PL5XpW36jHFBrcpzWZp8esotmkzLfHy9NQ here is another vid on a ETA I assemble. you will see how much of a bushman I am. It has music in the back ground and youtube say it will not be shown in some countries for copyright, hope you guys can see it.

willofiam
    • Topics Started: 75
    • Total Posts: 1437

excellent, I need to look into some of those processes, someday I hope 🙄 …I wish I had 30 hours in a day :D William

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
blondfellowWatch restoration