Home Forums General Discussion Forum Watch Repair Tools

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wingman
    Participant

I have been looking for various tools to do pocket watches. I came across a fellow who was selling a box of old watchmaker tools. He had a jacot lathe, staking set, depthing tool and poising tool (minus bubble level). There were a few other tools and jewel assortment he would throw in. Is there anything specific I should check in terms of wear or damage for these tools? The staking set was missing a few punches and most of the pieces had some light surface corrosion. He was asking $350 for the lot. Does this sound like a reasonable price?

Steve

Bob Tascione

Hi Steve,
        It’s difficult to know if that’s a good value without seeing the tools or knowing more about them. If the staking set is a larger full size inverto type, Jacot tool is complete with all runners, accessories and a box, and the poising tool jaws are without nicks then my feeling is that $350 is a decent price. Especially when you have other tools being thrown in. A good way to check, which you may have already done is to see what similar tools on ebay are going for. A good jacot tool is great to have. Ron DeCorte has come out with a video covering everything about buying and using a Jacot tool. I think it’s being sold up on eBay. I haven’t seen it yet but if Ron made it then it’s probably excellent.

Have fun Steve,
        Bob

wingman
        Participant

Thanks Bob

I want to echo what Clam71 has said in his post. We wouldn’t even be considering clock or watch repair without your courses and assistance.

“Thanks to you for getting me started.
          You’ve touched a lot of souls out there….”

Steve

Bob Tascione

Thanks Steve,
            As you probably know it can be frustrating for newbies as well as seasoned smiths at times. We all need to throw in some encouraging words when that overwhelmed feeling overtakes one of us. I try to be there at those times (and when things are going well too). The clock and watch world shouldn’t lose anyone due to lack of support. I hit that frustration level too and have people to contact when I need that pat on the back and sometimes that kick in the butt to get me moving again. We really are all in this together and please believe me when I say that I need you guys just as much if not more than you need me. It’s all about having fun …and I am having fun!
            Hope you are too Steve,
            Thanks again,
            Bob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.