Home Forums General Discussion Forum Watch oil

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    clam71
    Participant

Hi, all. School of hard knocks again. Bought a vial of watch oil on ebay (pic attached).
      JUNK ! My Waltham 1888 watch was running fine for a few weeks but for temp issues.
      Then it stopped a few days ago. Damned phony oil ! I had all the parts US cleaned
      and lubed with that stuff. Took it apart tonight and it’s turned to gum already !!
      Now, gotta US clean it AGAIN !!!
      Also, the temp issues are likely due to this crap. I fetched it out of my mailbox
      and it was COLD ! It looked like 90 weight gear oil ! Shudda been my first clue.
      Any info as to what brand of REAL watch oil would be appriciated.

stevefitzwater
      Participant

Has anyone tried the synthetic oils?

http://www.watchmaterial.com/viewitem.asp?idProduct=706

From my very very limited experience, Anchor is the “Value” line.. so I would avoid it at all costs.

clam71
        Participant

Watch tinkering is new to me but I’m quite astute as to mechanical things.
          The oil needed has to have the following properties–
          Viscosity needs to be reasonably stable over a modest temperature span.
          And It must not turn viscous over time OR EVAPORATE.

Ideas/ links/ help ???

clam71
          Participant

@ Steve… I’ll try it soon. Thanks for the tip !!!

Bob Tascione

Hi Steve,
              Yes…Mobius sync. oils are excellent! They look pricey in those itty bitty bottles but the stuff lasts forever.

….I posted this in an earlier thread but will mention it again here… it’s tough to get the oil out of the bottle if you’re using oil cups. I use a small syringe and then squirt it into the oil cup.
              Bob

clam71
              Participant

Gotta try mobius oil. As in electronics from which I come from, your tools and techniques must be failsafe
                or you’re gonna come to the wrong conclusion and chase ghosts forever.
                The watch won’t be reliable even if cleaned and in pristeen condition if it’s lube sucks !
                School of hard knocks again ! Learning is difficult but mastery is bliss……

cazclocker
                Participant

I read a quote somewhere by Breuget, who was the inventor of the tourbillon. Something like “Give me the perfect oil and I’ll give you the perfect watch”. Clam71, I’m not really a watch guy but through the years I’ve read plenty of praises for Moebius oils. I have a couple of bottles of Elgin watch oil still in their original box – that I got from a NAWCC regional a few years ago. I have no idea how old it is, but the guy wanted $2.00 for it – so I bought it as a collector item. Probably pure gum inside.

clam71
                  Participant

Well then, Cazclocker, you’ve sold me.
                    That old Anchor oil might as well be from a quart of 20W40 motor oil !
                    Imagine if it was ? Well over 50 bottles net per quart at 7 bux each !!
                    I’m thinking, world’s full of sharks.
                    But it doesn’t have the smell of motor oil… Oderless.
                    Thanks for the input !

clam71
                    Participant

Tonight, 3/3/2011, I re-assembled my vintage 1888 size 18 watch after having to clean that crap Anchor oil out of it.
                      Don’t have any Mobius oil yet but , believe it or not, I used Marvel Mystery Oil to lube it !
                      It looks like red kerosene…VERY THIN ! It has a sweet smell.. DON’T store it in your bathroom !
                      It could easily be mistaken for mouthwash !!!! That Anchor crap…Still steamed about it !
                      Just checked a cap full of mystery oil I put in the fridge. It’s still quite thin. Gotta check it’s evaporation qualities.
                      But… this seems like pretty good stuff for the tiny “heart of the watch” parts.
                      The watch is running perfect and has lost 5 seconds in half an hour. A tiny bump to the trimmer to correct.
                      This watch was very temp sensitive with the old oil. I can see already that that issue is fixed.
                      I took pics of the gummy oil but rather than posting, just think of the half-hardened stuff on the lid of a polyurethane can
                      and you get the picture. SO NICE to have my 1888 watch back again !! Still have to finish polishing the old thick crystal.
                      3949617 # A hunter movement. Lever set.
                      Now, onto a #3270968 18S movement With a broken staff. Just checked my mailbox.
                      The (2) staffs arrived. Hope I got the right parts ! Next stage of learning. A lathe will probably be necessary to fit the parts.
                      Hope not, but…….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.