Home Forums General Discussion Forum Watch Main Spring Winding

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tommytinker1048
    Participant

I apologize if the question has been asked before. In watch repair video, when winding the new spring, it is being wound opposite it natural curve. I am I viewing this correctly. Reason asking is when talking about greasing the spring, instructions are not to pinch the spring too tight as to straighten it out…Right now my thinking is if you wind opposite the natural curve, would this straighten the spring also.

Bob Tascione

Hi Tommytinker1040,
        Good catch. I should have said not to squeeze too tightly as there might be a danger of slipping and “bending backwards” too far and kinking the spring. People just starting out sometimes have a tendency to overpower things so this is just a precautionary statement stressing the importance of not forcing and “going with the flow” when it comes to handling watches.
        As far as going against the curve there’s no problem there as the reverse “S” curve is a gradual one. The curve is designed into the spring to change the normal torque curve where little power is left towards the end of a wind into a more even, straighter curve resulting in more force being delivered at the end of it’s wind when energy is at it’s lowest.

Hope this helps and enjoy!
        Bob

tommytinker1048
        Participant

Thanks Bob, I understand now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.