Home Forums General Discussion Forum watch loose 10 minutes an hour

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    showaddywaddy
    Participant

hi my english smith’s pocket watch loose 10 minutes an hour i just got the watch i don’t want to take it apart until i get some clue as to what might be wrong its not the easiest movement to work on any help will be good thanks showaddywaddy

david pierce
      Participant

Show,
        First check to make sure the hands aren’t rubbing on the face of the watch. Over time the oil in a watch gets gummy and that can slow it down. If the watch has not been cleaned in a few years then it will probably need to be taken apart, cleaned, put back together,oiled (with the proper oil), and then demagnatized. Check the mainspring to make sure it is producing enough power to the geartrain. If that doesn’t correct the problem then the balance wheel assembly needs to be looked at.
        david

arutha
        Participant

David has it spot on, to correct that amount of time loss you need to service the watch to ensure you have a good basis, once this is done if it is still losing time we can offer more advice.
          Paul.

showaddywaddy
          Participant

thanks very much i,m going to clean it now let you know the result showaddywaddy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.