Home Forums General Discussion Forum watch hesitating

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sgoodstal
    Participant

Hello hope all are well, My question, I have a ETA 2824-2 movement that is only about 1yr old and after traveling I noticed that the second hand will stutter at 40 and 50 seconds mark making the watch loss aprox.10min per day. I have tried demagnetizing, and the hair spring seams fine. What should my next move be, check mainspring. Thanks

david pierce
      Participant

Sgoodstal,
        I would start with the hand and work back through the gear, staff and pinion train to look for places where rubbing may occur. If you cannot see the hand rubbing against the face, remove the hand and run the watch for a time period to see if it is still losing time.
        david

Bob Tascione

Hi Sgoodstall and Welcome to the forum!
          If the stuttering occurs at the same point every minute with the watch in the ‘Dial Up Position or Dial Down Position’ (and the 10 min. per day loss began at the same time as the stuttering) then in addition to Davids suggestion of checking for hand to dial contact also check for hand to crystal contact. If this looks good then my feeling would be that the problem would be something going on with the sweep second wheel pinion leaves or the gear teeth. My guess would be a small obstruction like a piece of dust lodged between the sweep second gear teeth. These teeth engage with the escape wheel pinion and a small piece of dust or other obstruction could easily cause enough power loss to allow the escape wheel to stop momentarily. A bent sweep second wheel tooth or pivot could also cause this. I don’t feel that the problem would lie any further along the train either before or after the sweep second wheel though. The mainspring, escape wheel, pallet, balance wheel, balance staff etc. have no direct relationship with this repeating 60 sec. interval stuttering that you’re experiencing.
          You can check for an obstruction in the gear teeth with a 10x loupe by removing the auto wind mech. on the ETA 2824-2.
          Hope this helps ….
          Enjoy!
          Bob

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.