Home Forums General Discussion Forum Watch hands

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mclark3617
    Participant

Will watch hands intermix? As long as there for the same size watch, or are the holes different dia depending on the watch maker?

randy
      Participant

There are many variations on a theme when it comes to hands.
        The various canon pinion sizes can make it difficult to find hands that fit various models of the same size,. but you would probably be more successful if you are talking about the same size of watch from the same manufacturer….

mclark3617
        Participant

So if i need hands for a 16s waltham, hands for a 16s Elgin wont work?

randy
          Participant

Maybe ,..maybe not.
            I’ve seen where the hour hand will fit across different pocket watches..but the minute hands won’t..
            Do you need a set of hand for a Waltham 16s ??? I might have a set…..

mclark3617
            Participant

Yes i do, and i found a set on uncle larrys but they dont say for what watch they go to. It sounds like i need to find some that say there for waltham watch, i would be interested in seeing what you have available also.

randy
              Participant

It appears that I have a vial that is marked for 16S Railroad Blue Waltham hands. Can you measure, verify the hole sizes ?
                I’m trying to verify them on my end as well using old catalogs

mclark3617
                Participant

Thanks for the help,,im at work now but will measure it first thing in the morning and let you know, thanks again

randy
                  Participant

I just found the proper sizes from Otto Frei’s webpage.
                    The hole sizes are 1.20 and 1.95 mm respectively for a 16s Waltham

I’ll let you know tomorrow if I have a set…..

Take care

Randy

randy
                    Participant

So it looks like I do have some that will work.
                      The hour hand hols size is 1.95..but the minute hand is closer to about 1.16.
                      You could ream it out until it fit correctly.
                      I can send two sets for safety if you like…just let me know.

Randy

mclark3617
                      Participant

Thanks Randy that would be great, my watch measures 1.905 hour and 1.16 min
                        I included a picture so you can see if the hands will match ok

randy
                        Participant

I think they will work.
                          You can send me your address via my email
                          [email protected]

I’ll ship you two sets to play with..no charge.
                          If they don’t work,..just send them back
                          Deal ??

Randy

mclark3617
                          Participant

Email sent

chris mabbott
                            Participant

Ah yes watch hands, yet another challenging part of an already challenging endeavor..

I’ve been battling with them for a while. I always wonder why the manufacturers didn’t standardize, but then parts supply, after market service, was just as cut throat as the actual watch manufacturing business.

Waltham didn’t want their parts on any other watch, neither did any of the others.

I’ve been dealing with some Rockford’s that all have different sizes, yet basically they’re the same models, a series or two apart, but still.

The retooling for all of these models must have been incredibly complicated, not to mention the stock lists.

Then you have the fact that someone, in the past, replaced a part with a “Best Fit” that fit everything but the standard minute hand post LOL

Then we have jobber hands that have been reamed or modified to fit. I’ve even had hour hands that have had a neat little bushing peened inside, in order to fit. I mean, really good micro work but man. Hands… My black little heart is all a flutter writing about it :-)

Randy, that’s very nice of you to do that. How would the Brits say…. Very decent of you old chap :-)

Paul correct me if I’m wrong haha

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.