Home Forums General Discussion Forum watch hands won’t move

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    timenut111
    Participant

New to the site and course having a great experience, Thanks Bob for your hard work….now for help! I have a Hamilton 992 21jewel 16s that I have just cleaned oiled and put in a new mainspring and balance staff. After putting watch back together it started right up. I put second hand on and it took off like its suppose to…when I put the hour and minute hand on the second hand running balance swinging beautifully but the hands won’t advance. I tightened the cannon pinion and still no movement…any ideas? Thanks Randy

Bob Tascione

Hi Randy and welcome to the forum,
        If there’s anything jamming the motion works then you could see slipping of the cannon pinion. If you are positive that the cannon pinion fit is sufficient then here are a few things you can check:
        Are the hands making contact with each other or with anything else? Test without the bezel and dial just in case there is hand contact with dial or crystal. Try removing the hour hand and see if the minute hand begins working without the hour hand in place. If still no minute hand movement then try removing the hour pipe.
        Is the lever functioning correctly when pressed into winding position.
        If all is well then I would still suspect cannon pinion tension.
        Hope this helps,
        Good luck Randy,
        Bob

timenut111
        Participant

Thanks Bob for your response, everything as far as gear train, hands rubbing on bezel, getting locked together and the setting mech. all work fine. I can set the hands no problem. seconds hand just moves pretty as you please. I believe it is either the cannon pinion slipping on the center wheel stem, or the hands are not correct. I ordered them from a supplier and they are a generic brand since originals are expensive and sometimes hard to come by. I guess I should try and find original hands, I think I will be better off….But I will tackle a few more of the cannon pinion issues first…Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.