Home Forums General Discussion Forum WATCH GEAR CUTTING MACHINE

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

There is a nice looking milling machine for watch gears on Ebay. Item #261404234286.

chris mabbott
      Participant

That is nice David, but I wouldn’t have a clue as to its operation, there seems to be many integral components missing? Maybe there is a vid on the Tube that shows this type of machine at work?

david pierce
        Participant

Chris,
          It sold for $1913.00. It is a small horizontal mill that was used at the Bulova Watch Factory to make watch gears. From what I can see in the picture all of the parts are there. It looks like a beautifully made machine.
          david

chris mabbott
          Participant

It’s a little beauty David and although I did see the collets, shouldn’t there be gear cutters in the mix, or fly cutters? I’m not seeing how this machine works, although I’m trying, I need to be taken by the hand on this one:(

david pierce
            Participant

Chris,
              The typical group of salvage butchers that pick this stuff up at estate sales for pennies on the dollar, strip off everything they can and sell it to make a quick buck.
              david

arutha
              Participant

The only supplier of gear cutters I know of is PP Thorntons http://www.ppthornton.com/index.html in the UK. If you look at the price of 1 cutter it soon becomes clear it is an expensive business trying to build up a good selection. You do see small lots of gear cutters on e-bay from time to time but I have seen the price of these going up each time and you never know what you are getting. It is possible to make your own cutters but it is quite a time consuming business and from those I have spoken to that have attempted it it seems they have had mixed results.
                Paul.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.