Home Forums General Discussion Forum Watch cleaning question…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

Is naptha detrimental to the shellac used to cement-in jewels? I just thought I would ask before I go out on a limb, only to fall off of it.
      Thanks,
      tmac

Bob Tascione

Hi Tmac,
        Naptha is safe for shellac. Denatured alcohol works as a solvent with shellac though. It’s even used as a shellac thinner.

Enjoy,
        Bob

tmac1956
        Participant

@Bob Tascione wrote:

Hi Tmac,
          Naptha is safe for shellac. Denatured alcohol works as a solvent with shellac though. It’s even used as a shellac thinner.

Enjoy,
          Bob

Bob:
          Thanks for that information. Using the seven jar method listed in your PDF’s, should I keep the balance and pallet fork out of the denatured alchohol and just use one-dip for those? I am assuming that all other parts are ok in the alchohol…

Thanks!
          tmac

Bob Tascione

Hi Ttmac,
            Yes that would be best. A quick dip in the alcohol usually isn’t a problem but no reason to tempt fate. If you’re going to use naptha as a cleaner then alcohol rinse won’t really be necessary.

Bob

tmac1956
            Participant

@Bob Tascione wrote:

Hi Ttmac,
              Yes that would be best. A quick dip in the alcohol usually isn’t a problem but no reason to tempt fate. If you’re going to use naptha as a cleaner then alcohol rinse won’t really be necessary.

Bob

Thanks!
              tmac

david pierce
              Participant

Tmac,
                I use a small inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner that I bought from Harbor Freight a few years ago. I tested different solutions such as detergent and water, windex you name it and finally setteled on straight Naptha. I purchase the Naptha from Home Depot by the gallon. When the cleaner has run through its cycle I pull the parts out and place them on a paper towel to air dry. Although I have not noticed any oily residue on the parts I dip the balance assemblies and hairsprings in laquer thinner just to make sure. I do not put the laquer thinner in the ultrasonic cleaner because I do not want to push my luck.
                I posted the answer to your time standard question as a new thread (Horology 101) because I thought it might be of more general interest to watch students. Boy was I wrong. The English Beer thread outdrew the number of hits 2 to 1. This shows that watch repair students are twice as interested in beer than horology.
                david

tmac1956
                Participant

All:

When doing manual cleaning, would stringing parts together using aluminum wire cause any problems such as reacting with some of the metals used in the movement?

Thanks,
                  tmac

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.