Home Forums General Discussion Forum Waltham rattle…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Bob Tascione

Hey don’t worry about. I’m the worst when it comes to terminology. I’m constantly forgetting the proper names to use.

Ok if it’s a single roller then that’s good. I think you’re on the right track. Would first do what you plan to do by checking that the roller is seated properly. If everything is fine and shake looks good ie: pivot extends to proper depth in foot jewel and jewels are correct then would suspect that the roller jewel is extending too far down. May be set too low or may be that the jewel was replaced with a longer one. This isn’t too uncommon.

Please let us know what you find Tom,

Bob

tmac1956
      Participant

All:

OK. I found the problem and it’s pretty depressing. First, let me rationalize for a moment and state that I do have eye problems with 600 vision in my right eye due to a retinal detachment, and a big cataract in my left eye. However, that’s no excuse for the lack of rigor when it comes to performing a systematic examination of a timepiece.

To digress for a moment, while initially examining the watch I noticed that the third wheel top jewel was cracked. Since I had a few 18s part watches I just found a replacement, cleaned it, and installed it using the original screws. Once I put the watch back together and noticed the seizing hairspring problem, I did check the clearances between the plate and the balance wheel but simply did not – even under magnification – see that the replacement jewel wasn’t seating flush and one of the screws was just high enough (looks like a hairs width) to rub against the bottom of the balance wheel. I finally saw it this morning when the expansion gap in the balance wheel caught on the jewel screw causing the whole thing to seize. Honestly, I just couldn’t see it. Whether it was my vision issues or I just looked past it assuming some other problem I don’t really know – probably a little of both.

Anyway, on the positive side – I have learned a big lesson from this one and picked up some seriously good methods such as how to check end shake by removing the cap jewels and looking at pivot embed length in the hole jewel, and being provided with an actual check list by which to be guided. On the down side, I’m now wondering if my vision issues might be a real problem that will prevent me from pursuing this – I should have been able to see this jewel/screw problem in the beginning before I wasted everyone’s time here and basically made a fool out of myself. 😳

Ultimately, I put it on my staking set and seated it under mild pressure, making sure to firmly tighten the screws. It’s swinging strong and free now.

Oh well… thank you everyone for contributing. Thanks Bob for taking the time to deleve into this too.

Later,
        Tom

arutha
        Participant

Tom,
          dont be so hard on yourself! I miss things on clocks and they are many times bigger, just the other day I was working on a striking problem, I had been over this clock three times already thinking I had solved the problem and yet it still stopped. I caught the problem completely by accident when I saw the fly body touching one of the plates. I cant belive I had only just spotted this. Sometimes we look too hard and sometimes think that it is another piece of the mech that isnt playing ball. Dont think for a second this will be the last time it happens to you either. All you can do to start with is look for the obvious problems, then the less obvious, it is like a sliding scale, once you hit the bottom and are lost for ideas, walk away for a bit and come back to it another time. I have lost count of the times this has happened to me, you go back for another look 3 days later and spot it and thats if an idea doesnt come to you when you were not even thinking about the watch/clock.
          Another recent experience saw me shortening a suspension spring because the clock was running to0 fast – yep, I was shortening it which obviously is the exact opposite of what I should have been doing, sometimes our brains dont want to work properly, on those days, go fishing instead :)

willofiam

Hey Tom, great job on finding the problem :D , I am right there with Paul on overlooking obvious things, kind of want to beat my head against the wall sometimes :roll:(might be easier). I wont go into detail on my mishaps as Bobs posting limits would probably be reached. You my friend have essentially taught everyone who has read this post some great things to look for while deciphering a issue whether watch or clock AND fixed the issue before throwing in the towel!!!! so if anything, I think we should all thank you!!!!. Also, as with anyone with any sort of hindering physical problem, in no matter what they do, give chance to overcome and help others with a similar situation..if they dont give up…… my eyes are getting worse as time marches on so I may be asking you someday for advice on how to overcome. the task was difficult and now your character is stronger!!!!stick with it and dont ever give up, you are valuable to us all ;). God bless, William

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.