Home Forums General Discussion Forum Waltham Model 1883 built in 1904 Escape wheel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    hank7421
    Participant

As I tried to line up the three power train wheels, the pallet and the escape wheel between the two plates I had a very difficult time trying to get all the staffs into the settings. The escape wheel and the pallet were the most difficult to get into the cover plate. You only have the distance between the two plates to work in and I wound up breaking the end of the staff on the escape wheel as you can see on the gear side of the staff. I hope you can enlarge this image. If you need a closer shot let me know and I will post an extreme close up. Would appreciate any help finding a place to get a replacement escape wheel. Also, if any of you know a better way of doing this I am open to suggestions.
      Hank

namonllor1953
      Participant

Hi Hank,
        Photo needs to be enlarged

stevefitzwater
        Participant

Ok, I will email Bob for him to send me your email, I have several in my parts movements, your welcome to one if you want it..

Ok, assembling a 1883 or any movement with two full plates is a pain, I have been using a touch of rodico (about the size of a grain of sand), place the rodico on the bottom side of the upper plate, first set your train and escape into the bottom plate, then set the pallet into the jewel and the rodico should be big enough to hold the pallet as you turn the upper plate over and set it on the pillars. The rodico will hold the pallet in place until you get it into the jewels, then simply use a tweezer and pick out the rodico (becareful of the pallet jewels( why I said such a small amount), the main reason is you have to have the end of the pallet in the balance opening for the roller. Then slowly work your way around from the main wheel to the pallet.

I like to install the three pillar screws to keep the upper plate in position, DO NOT TIGHTEN THEM, just a few threads, it provides a more stable platform.

Bob Tascione

Hi Hank, Steve and Ren,
            Here’s a tip that should be very helpful when working with full plate movements.
            Try building them back up while in the upside down position. That is rather than having the pillar plate in the holder remove the balance from the lower plate and place this plate on the bench or movement holder. You can then fit the gears, escape wheel and pallets in place, and bring the pillar plate down and work their pivots into their respective holes while slowly tightening down the plate. It will make it much much easier to assemble the movement this way. No need to flip the plate over with all its components in place when doing it this way.
            Hope this is helpful,
            Bob
            ps I’ll get the email to you in the morning Steve.

namonllor1953
            Participant

Hi Bob,
              Yes, it is much easier to do as you just explained. I found that working on the bottom plate, then finessing the pivots into the upper plate is just easier to do than any other way. I just had to keep a very light hand and it worked out beautifully.

stevefitzwater
              Participant

thanks Bob, I will have to try that the next time I work on one of these

hank7421
                Participant

To Bob, Steve and Ren, Wow, this is just what I was looking for. I can’t wait to try those excellent suggestions, but I’ll have to wait until I get a new escape wheel. Steve, I will gladly take you up on that generous offer of an escape wheel.
                  After closer inspection I think that some of the settings look as if they have been expanded. I am going to try to post a close-up. To get a good look you may have to copy the picture to a place where you can enlarge it. Let me know what you think.
                  Hank

stevefitzwater
                  Participant

Hank, bob already sent me your email, so you can remove it from the forums

Bob or Will, could you remove it

it is never a good idea to post any personal information in the forums, emails, phone numbers, etc…

Bob Tascione

All done thanks Steve,
                      Bob

brianw
                      Participant

Thanks for your tip on doing everything upside down Bob. I have been working on clocks for the last couple of years and one of my first ventures into watches was this week on a Waltham. I read your tip on the day I was reassembling the watch and It made everything really easy. One of those fortunate coincidences….

stevefitzwater
                        Participant

Hank, apparently this old guy can not copy an address correctly, your escape wheel came back today, I messed up your addy, will reship it tomorrow, sorry

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.