Home Forums General Discussion Forum Waltham 1857 Restoration project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cusimano
    Participant

Hello All,
      I am restoring my wife’s Grandfathers old pocket watch.
      Waltham 18s PS Bartlett m1857 s/n477102 Grade: Home.

Question:
      Do any other Waltham 18s PW’s share parts with this watch… the 1883 ?

Why,
      well the watch has some issues of course….. ( broken teeth on the mainspring barrel ).
      Question
      am I correct in assuming that the barrel would need replacing …. ( see pic below ).

It appears that the watch was re-cased into a case designed for a stem set/wind movement.
      My watch is key set/wind.
      The stem looks to be hacked off short, and the result was the broken teeth as people attempted to set and/or wind the watch.
      ….. just a guess …

My plan is to restore the movement and put it into the correct case.

Any thoughts or direction or connection would be greatly appreciated.
      Thank you …
      Chris

Pics …

stevefitzwater
      Participant

Well this is one of the models not covered under Walthams Material Catalogues, I have the 1909, 1940, and 1958 versions and none have the 1857 model listed..

I have both a 1883 and 1877 movements, give me the measurements on the barrel and I will check them to see it they are a match for diameter, thick (depth), and teeth. If it matches the 1883, your welcome to it, I have a “parts movement” that I can take it from. Right now I only have one 1877, but I am looking for a higher count jewel for my collection.

Ok, the 1877 model has 65 teeth and a depth of .320, the 1883 has 78 teeth and a depth of .320, it shows the 1857 with a depth of .310 under the mainspring listing. So that is different…

cusimano
        Participant

Hi Steve,
          Thank you for the research.
          Very much appreciated.
          Chris

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.