Home Forums General Discussion Forum Waltham 1857 pallet arbor installation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    pbdechant
    Participant

I am working on a Waltham 1857 pocket watch and the pallet arbor is broken. I have a replacement bout seeing that there is no stop and the arbor appears to be straight So I assume it is friction fit. My question is can it be installed on either side of the pallet lever and is there a specification of how far to drive the arbor in. Thanking you in advance and this has been quite the project. New train jewels, new main spring, hair spring work. When done it will be nice.

tmac1956
      Participant

pbdechant:

I believe that the balance arm is parallel with the bottom of the balance wheel and if so, then I think the balance staff will need to be replaced with that orientation in mind. It should be pretty obvious, but what I always do is go back to Bob’s videos just as a refresher. By doing this, I have saved myself tons of grief. I think it’s staffing videos #5 and #6 – the last two I believe. You have asked some very good questions – especially BEFORE you do the work. ;)

Don’t forget to take plenty of pictures for each step in disassembly. You will not regret it!

I hope this helps,
        Tom

pbdechant
        Participant

Thank you do your reply, it always helps to get another view ;)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.