Home Forums General Discussion Forum Wall clock setting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ewinrow
    Participant

Hello to all. I have just one question, with my very limited clock skills and knowledge before I do something stupid I must ask. Clocks unlike pocket watches and wrist watches are set by stems and levers, clocks do not. If I were to set the time by hand will I mess-up the timing or the chime set or is that how you set them? “(By the hands”) and if you set it by the hands, is their any special way? (Any one hand before the other.) :mrgreen:

arutha
      Participant

You are quite correct, most clocks are set via the hands, some of the smaller mantel clocks will have a hand setting button on the back much like you see on an alarm clock. Most but not all striking and chiming clocks have a self correcting mechanism. If you are unsure whether they have this feature then I would just go through the hours slowly allowing the clock to strike the hours/half hours etc. Worse case scenario is if you cant get the strike or chimes to match the position of the hands then you can always remove the hands and put them in the correct position.
        Paul.

ewinrow
        Participant

@Arutha wrote:

You are quite correct, most clocks are set via the hands, some of the smaller mantel clocks will have a hand setting button on the back much like you see on an alarm clock. Most but not all striking and chiming clocks have a self correcting mechanism. If you are unsure whether they have this feature then I would just go through the hours slowly allowing the clock to strike the hours/half hours etc. Worse case scenario is if you cant get the strike or chimes to match the position of the hands then you can always remove the hands and put them in the correct position.
          Paul.

OK Arutha, will do and thanks. I’d rather get a professional opinion as opposed to causing or adding to possible damage.

arutha
          Participant

@ewinrow wrote:

OK Arutha, will do and thanks. I’d rather get a professional opinion as opposed to causing or adding to possible damage.

If you find a “Professional” please say hi from me ;)
            That is a very sensible approach, the people who like to rip into things cause themselves so many problems later on. Take your time, study things until they make sense and you at least have an idea of what will happen when you make your move, it will save you time, money, frustration, stress and a fair amount of hair :)
            Paul.

ewinrow
            Participant

Got cha. I done as you mentioned and it is running fine and keeping good time also chiming on the hour and 1/2 hour.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.