• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rodlloyd
    Participant

I hear people refer to all types if escapements as a ‘verge’, even deadbeat escapements. Are all escapements verges or just the ‘Verge and foliot’ as I suspect.

namonllor1953
      Participant

Hi Rod,
        I believe the verge is the part that the pallets are attached to, and what stops the escape wheel from just spinning like h_ll.

willofiam

Great question rodlloyd, I know I use the term “verge” in describing an escapement that isnt a “verge”. I guess when I started I picked up that term and related it to the whole apparatus (which technically would not be right) but it gets me through the day :D.
          This would be a great thread to snap some photos and apply proper nomenclature. William

arutha
          Participant

You are correct in that the proper use of the term “verge” does relate to the verge and foliot escapement. The verge is the crownwheel and the foliot is the bar with the pads set at a specific angle to work on the teeth.
            It seems that the term “verge” has indeed been picked up by many to describe the pallets from most escapements. The terminology can get confusing at times and I still have trouble with it :)
            Paul.

gerene
            Participant

As a Dutch speaking person I am certainly not to be considered an authority in the English language, but it was my understanding that the verge is the rod with the pads acting on the crown wheel and the foliot is the rod with the weights acting as the oscillator (later replaced by a pendulum or balance). Verge is also a (less used) French word for rod.
              Maybe I am wrong…

Jan

namonllor1953
              Participant

Jan,
                I believe you are correct and that’s what I was trying to say.
                I came across a photo of the escapement parts and the verge is called the piece that holds the two pallet stones.
                There is also a drawing on wikipedia but, I’m not sure how accurate people consider wiki to be.

arutha
                Participant

Jan and Ren,
                  I was just making sure you were awake ;)ou are both quite correct and I have got it wrong.
                  Well done :)
                  Paul.

rodlloyd
                  Participant

Thanks for the replies. The main reason for the question is I am teaching a clock repair class and feel I should be using the correct verbiage.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.