Home Forums Hints, Tips and Tricks verge and clutch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    markrade
    Participant

Hi Everybody
      I am working on a 1820 Seth Thomas clock, my first one. Here is picture of the verge and clutch. the clutch is broken. So my question is this, can this old one be repaired? Or do I order a new one, if so where do I order and what size? I would appreciate and and thousand thanks.
      Lover of clocks
      Mark R.

willofiam

Hey Mark, you can repair this, I would not change the verge, match the crutch material and diameter as best you can if it appears to be original I would keep it as close to that as possible, looks like a mild steel that is soft enough to bend without breaking, have to remove the old one from the verge and reattach the new one. be careful as you do not want to break the verge, that will create a greater problem. If you have any repair books see if they talk of how to bend the lower loop and the tolerances, one good thing you have is the total length of it. great to here you have the “disease” about clocks. have a great day. William

arutha
        Participant

Hi Mark :)
          William gives good advice. If you want a “bodge” I have seen these lengthened, find some steel wire the same diameter, slide a thin tube of brass over the two ends and either solder or glue it together. This is NOT how I would fix a customers clock but if you just want a quick fix to see the clock running then it can save a bit of time, not to mention damaging the verge if you are not used to riveting yet.
          Paul :)

markrade
          Participant

HI GUYS,
            THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE ADVISE, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. SOMEDAYS I FEEL LIKE A CAVE MAN TRYING TO LEARN ABOUT CLOCK REPAIR BUT THE LIGHT IS STARTING TO SHINE!!!! :D

arutha
            Participant

Hi Mark,
              I still get days like that, at times you do wonder if its getting any easier. I was talking to William about this just recently and we think this is why horology is so incredible because there is so much to learn we will never get bored with it :)
              Paul.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.