Home Forums General Discussion Forum Venture into the Field of Wristwatches

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

Sorry Tim, only just noticed your question, the watch see here – Skeleton Watch for £6.49

bamadadof3
      Participant

Look at the Seiko and Orient (Japanese not Chinese) watch movements and compare them to the ETA swiss stuff. In some cases the Japanese look better made to me. I have long been an Seiko/Orient watch fan due to their quality mechanical movements for very reasonable prices. Those dang little date wheel springs can be a pain in the butt to put back on but besides that they are bullet proof. One thing I liked about Orient is even before they were bought by Seiko they resisted the movement towards quartz even when quartz was very popular. As a company they still prefer mechanical movements even to this day. They make a very nice power reserve indicator automatic watch for under $180 that is beautiful with high end steel cases and bands. I’m really not sure how they make a profit selling them that cheap the Yen is a little week.

I own a few Chinese replica ( we will call them that not counterfeit LOL ) wristwatches that are dead on accurate and one that is damasked really nice modeled after an ETA 6897 hand-winder. I own a real ETA 6897 and comparing the two they are identical! The Chinese even tried to copy the ETA symbol under the balance wheel! Shame on them…. There are even watchmakers who say you can substitute real ETA parts when fixing them. Basically the Chinese reverse engineered them down to the screw heads. The higher price replicas had some pretty nice clone movements including an amazingly cheap ETA 7750 chronograph movement that they say cost around $130 new. Looking at those the plates themselves were not as finished as the real deal but still pretty nice.

I use to feel bad about what the Chinese were doing to clone the ETA stuff but I have since found out how the Swiss have screwed over non-swiss watchmakers and I don’t care one bit now. What they have done to the American watchmakers is insane and I think it will backfire on them eventually as the global markets get weaker and America’s recovers. We will see but in the meantime I’ll glance through my glass back Tag replica ( just kidding I don’t really have one wink wink) with a 6897 movement and marvel that it was $80.

david pierce
        Participant

Acording to a Youtube video on the Japanese watch industry, Japan turns out 60 million watches per year compared to 25 million per year produced by the Swiss.
          david

tmac1956
          Participant

@maitai11 wrote:

(Hits head against wall)

snip…

David, a quick question: Do you like these particular screwdrivers for any particular reason? :) I was thinking that there are MANY small increments within a relatively SMALL size range. That would make sense. Just wondering, because I think my set goes down to .5 mm, but then pretty rapidly rises from there. I’ll have to check. Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

Best,

Tim

Tim:

EuroTools sells a seven pc. screwdriver set with the collet blade holders. I bought one of those, and purchased a set of Burgeon blades. The first seven of the Burgeon blades fit into the collets fine with the exception of the last one, which I drilled out a tiny bit. For the two biggest blades I had to use some French screwdrivers that I had on hand. The extra length on the last two doesn’t seem to be problematic for me. Like David, I find that the shorter length and centering nature of the EuroTool collet style has reduced my propensity to slip and scratch things – and they are well balanced.

If I had the extra money, I would probably suck it up and buy a set of the Hortec ball bearing screwdrivers. However, for the money I think I have a pretty good set as it is.

Thanks,
            Tom

maitai11
            Participant

Hey, thanks Guys, for all your responses!

I’m sorry to not have gotten back to this sooner. This week, I started a new part-time job as the Buildings Manager at the condominium (townhouse) complex that I live in. I mean, you can’t beat the commute!

Feeling a little 80’s there, Chris? Sorry brother, you’re either going to have to get your “Flock of Seagulls” wig and put it on, or I’ll only listen to this song ONCE. :)

Thank you very much for the tool info, David, Paul, and the rest.

Loved the background! Thanks to David, Randy, and “Dad” :)

Chat later Guy’s, I have another post to post!

Best,

Tim :)

maitai11
              Participant

P.S. Just got the watch in the other day…I’m PSYCHED!!!

But, FIRST, I have an actual PAYING JOB – my FIRST PAYING JOB – to work on. More on that in another post. :)

And thanks Paul, for that great link to some cheapo’s. I think that’s a really good idea to get some practice time in!!!

Best,

Tim :)

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.