Home Forums General Discussion Forum Using a Crystal Gauge

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hank7421
    Participant

I recently acquired a Crystal Gauge. I wanted to measure a crystal on a Waltham PW to order a new one. This may sound odd, but I am not sure how to use it. I laid the gauge flat against the back side of the crystal and lined up the outside edge of the gauge with the edge of the crystal and the other edge lined up with 46.5 mm on one side of the gauge and using the other side it lined up with #55. I assume 55 is a reference number for ordering crystal? I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to place the hook over the edge when measuring or simply line up the end of the gauge with the edge of the crystal. It didn’t come with instructions. Please let me know if I’m doing it right.
      Hank

Bob Tascione

Hi Hank,
        Not sure what gauge you’re using or if you’re going to order a glass crystal or a plastic one. If you’re measuring a plastic crystal using a G-S Gauge then you would measure from the outside of the Gauge as you mentioned. If you’re talking about an open face pocket watch then probably need a PKH (for G-S). If you’re measuring a glass crystal and wanting to order a glass crystal please let us know. I can dig up a link I have (think it’s at Daveswatchparts) somewhere on this computer to a page that explains how to measure and fit a glass crystal.
        Adios for now,
        Bob

hank7421
        Participant

Hello Bob,
          After reading your reply I realized that I was using the gauge correctly. It was a G-S gauge. I went to Dave’s Watch Parts and viewed the information on ordering crystals and I know now what information I need to provide. That was a very useful site for anyone looking for an American pocket watch crystal. For anyone else looking for a PW crystal, here is the information needed: Crystal material (glass or plastic) Crystal diameter in mm, Crystal style (mine was flat) and Crystal thickness in mm. Thanks for replying to my post. It was very helpful.
          Hank

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.